Silence


In many homes there is rarely silence. The Television is on in several rooms, perhaps a radio is playing too. Cars are zooming by outside. Buzzers go off for our many appliances and phones ring and the list of noise makers goes on and on.
When I am the only one home, silence seems to sneak in. When the children started to go off in their adult directions of work and marriage, I found it difficult to cope with the silence. I would hurry to turn on some music. I was uncomfortable with the silence. For so many years I heard the children's voices all day long. We homeschooled for 17 years so there was no time without the children around. I loved that but at that time I would wonder what quiet would be like and dreamed of it at times. Four children can make a lot of noise, even well behaved children.
I find that slowly I am embracing this silent time of my day. It grows more comfortable. The ticking of the clock on the piano is often all I hear besides my steps on the bare wooden floors as I pass from room to room doing my work. The dog may bark occasionally or in the afternoon when the chickens are out of their house, I hear them clucking and the rooster crowing, but for the most part it is quiet. This is now the time I pray for my children and for those I know with needs. Today as I watched the sun come through the windows of the living room and light up the dark wooden floors, it seemed so perfect a match to the silence of the day. Its hard to describe but it gave me a feeling of all is well. A true feeling of contentment. I am not sure I would have been able to experience this moment in time had the house been filled with noise. It may not have felt special. Sometimes now I even drive the car with no radio on. Just alone and comfortable with my thoughts. In the olden days before we were so machine oriented, life was quite and silence was common. Again, I feel as though I am stepping back in time and it feels right to me.
In this silence, I may just be praying for you.

Comments

Granny said…
I would be thrilled to be on that prayer list!

Judy L.
Sunny said…
When my dear parents were approaching retirement years they began to keep a radio or TV on at all times for background noise. Even when they were sleeping at night. I could hardly stand it and can't imagine how they could. By the time I was out of the home I could hardly tolerate the sight or sound of TV anymore. I still don't much care for most TV and leave the room if possible when anyone has it on to some dumb thing. I gave up listening to the radio while driving for the most part some years back except for a bit of NPR here and there. I just prefer to take advantage of the opportunity for some peaceful quiet moments. Like you, I enjoy it when I have the home to myself- quiet and content. Silence IS golden. But, I am acutely aware that this is only because I have plenty of love in my life. Imagine how horrible silence and solitude would be if you had no one. No "noise" to look forward to.
Carolyn said…
I feel the same as you...I love the silence. I can think, pray and enjoy the peace and solitude, as Sunny said, knowing that that I will be looking forward to the noise of those I love soon. Of course, my family can't understand how I can go hours without music...they spend most of their time connected to their iPods!
Inga said…
One of the reasons why we moved here we live now, is the silence. We live 20 kilometres from the nearest town, and tje only "noise" here is an occasional magpie now and then. We seldom turn on the radio. Since we both work as musicians, we're surrounded by sound every day at work. When we put on a CD, it's because we really want to listen to that CD. That's the same with the TV, it's only on when there's something particular we want to see. Silence is necessary to be able to think straight, that's how I think about that.

Inga
Anonymous said…
We used to have the television on almost all day! Since Christmas, we have kept it switched off except to watch perhaps2 or 3 shows in the week, or a family DVD. It has made a difference in our home - we are playing, sorting photo albums, doing craft work. I don't even have the radio on in the car any more.

Popular Posts