A New Year



2006 arrived without much fanfare at our house. New Years Eve has never been a big deal for me. There is no jumping over the threshold from one year to the next in my mind. More of a continuing, like from one week to the next. A cycle. Normal and rather ordinary. Many folks have this expectation that things really do change at the moment the ball drops, but as in many things, expectation is often far greater than reality. You wake up January 1 without much having changed besides how you write the date.
I never made it till midnight last night. Sleep was more important to me than saying hello to a new year. Today has unfolded just like any other Sunday to me. Quiet, restful with much of the day spent in contemplation of the important stuff in life. Self reflection you might say.

I spent some time thinking about my last post regarding lists and such and found it amusing that there were several people that read my little discourse and took very personal as though I was talking about them or responded to something they said. The fact of the matter is, unless it was you that I was having a face to face talk with about resolutions and such, then you can bet, it wasn't you !

As the day has progressed, my mind has wondered over many hill and dale of retrospect. So many things to think about each day and when the day is a quiet one, there is so much more free time to actually formulate your thoughts. Counting my blessings is a favorite Sunday pastime.
I have thought about the blessings of being a mother to wonderful children. I like my children. Admire who they have become. And I thought about being a wife of 27 years to a man I simply adore and who adores me. We are best friends. Really we are and yet we both still get those butterflies in our stomachs when we see each other across the room.
Walking around my house today , I thought about how its such a fine home. Not grand in any way shape or form. Rather plain and very simple. But, a place where people feel comfortable and visitors tell us they can feel the love and warmth of our family as soon as they come in. We have entertained judges, Japanese film crews, doctors, lawyers, plain folk, fancy folk, homeless folk and I suspect angels unaware, all with the same joy. Its a place that people can just stop by, no invite necessary. Its a comfortable relaxed place.

I don't seem to worry much about things in life. Life unfolds as it should if you have faith that it will. God sustains us, cares for us with unending love. Today I read again some of my favorite verses in the Bible that talk about what kind of relationship we are to have with God. Simple, like a child. Trusting. Children don't worry much or at least they shouldn't have to if they are raised in love and security. Growing up, I knew my dad could take care of any situation and he could fix anything too. So wasn't much to worry about. Maybe a test in school or something if I hadn't done the studying I should have, but then I knew I was worried cause I failed to do my part. If you had messed up parents, then as an adult you should know that God isn't messed up and so you move on knowing He is there for you, perfect and loving. Take it in faith.
Life is really very simple. And if I had any profound wisdom to share it would just be what I have read in the good book.
In Matthew chapter 6, it pretty well sums up how to deal with life.
25"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? 26 Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27 Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life? 28 "And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29 Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 30 If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? 31 So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' 32 For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.



Comments

Granny said…
Patty, I hope you didn't think my response to your list question was argumentative. It surely wasn't meant to be. I was going to e-mail you but couldn't find an e-mail address. I'd never want to hurt your feelings!

As far the only thing changing with the new year is how you write the date, it will probably be June before I remember to start writing 2006! :)

I also had wonderful parents and there was nothing my dad couldn't fix. The cars were simple to fix, bicycles were simple to fix, the sewing machine was a Featherweight and the worst that could happen was a broken needle, thread caught in the bobbin case or a light burned out. We didn't have all this complicated "stuff" in our lives then. It was easy to trust and rely on my parents. Seeing and hearing the stories of some of my son's classmates, there are so many children who will not have memories of mom and dad providing for them, nurturing them and being there for them! It will be more difficult for this generation to trust God when trust is not something these kids have known much about.

BTW, you and I are the same age so we grew up in about the same era (but I did not take ballet!) :)

Judy L.
La Tea Dah said…
Patty, I enjoyed your New Year post very much. Each day is a new day; every morning we have a fresh start. So, like you, I don't get overly excited about a "new year", but rather a "new day". God's blessings are renewed each day, and for that I am most thankful!
Patty said…
No Judy, it wasn't you !
And nothing you said was in any way argumentitive. You are just sweet as can be
Tracey said…
Patty, could you tell me how you mark your Bible passages? I use a highlighter (bright yellow) at times but I've seen some folk that have different colors and I've always wondered why.

Happy New Year!!
Patty said…
Hi Tracey,
My system is simple for this bible, I use a differnt color highlighter each year. I did at one time use different colors for different subjects, such as verses to do with hope were pink, verses to do with health were green, verses that tell me how to live a good life were blue. That bible is pretty worn out.
Tracey said…
Thank you, Patty. I thought it was something like that but wasn't sure. Having a worn out Bible is a GOOD thing. :o) I just bought myself a new one this past summer. It takes awhile to get use to that 'new' feeling.

Popular Posts