The Relentless Winds of Winter

As I lay in bed last night, listening to the wind blowing wildly outside my window, it took on a menacing tone to me. The branches bending under the winds power. Leaves crispy and dry being lifted off the ground and tossed around in swirling motion. Something banging around on one of the barns, no doubt a piece of the metal roof come loose in these relentless warm winds this winter. The pastures around here are littered with plastic bags from wal-mart and the food stores. Its seems they escape from people at alarming rates and take to the sky like sad little kites without tails. Landing in some dry patch of grass or in a tree. Caught there for eternity it seems.
I can hear the wind howling at the window next to me as if it is calling to me in some unearthly song that sounds like the dry scratchy voice of an old man that has not spoken in years.
Normally I love the wind. I have been known to extend my arms like wings and turn and turn in the wind, as if hoping to be caught up in it and fly to the roof tops. Yes, even at my age I do things like that. But now, this dry never ending wind is fuel for fires that destroy and bring with it dry warm air that has scourged the land and made it look barren and void of life.
I have been in the deserts of the middle east. Stood in the places where camels roam and been to the place where they say Christ was tempted. Those places can feel lonely no matter how many people you are with, and its not the landscape that makes you feel that way, its the dry wind, the roaming, endless and beginingless winds.

I have been at the oceans side and felt wind strong enough to lift you to your toes, but that wind is full of energy and excitement. I believe the moisture in the air that turns your cheeks rosy red and softens them till they feel like the neck of a newborn is the difference. This dry wind, blows like what is often called Devil winds in the desert.
Last night the wind felt much like that. I pulled the covers up around my neck, rolled over and turned my back to the window, turned my back on this warm wind that has dried up our land. I don't like this dry winter wind. I fell asleep with a prayer on my lips for rain.

Comments

Sunny said…
I'm sure California would love to give you some of their rain.

Popular Posts