Crisp October Morning


Chilly air seeped through the open windows before dawn, making it almost impossible to drag myself out from under the downy covers. The cool air making noses cold within the walls of the house. Last night it seemed so right to leave windows open, but now, we second guessed that decision.
In no time at all the fire glowed in the stove, casting copper shadows on the shiny wooden floor. Soon a bubbling pot of oatmeal was cooking on the stove, raisins and cinnamon added in, making the house fill up with good morning smells that make a soul feel very hungry.
The wind is still blowing cold from the north. The sky a solid covering of gray flannel clouds.
With Emery off to work, the morning mine, folding clothes that did not dry on the line last night so were brought inside and hung off the pegs on the wall that usually hold sweaters and hats. Morning chores done, a bit of time for some tea and spinning. My old wheel needs some attention. I busy myself with looking at what it needs to work again. All the while my mind fills with visions of what this old wheel has seen and about the hands that held wool for a families needs so long ago. The fire crackles, making me glad I left the door open. Cooking done, the fire now is more for atmosphere than work. The room toasty warm. The front of me, facing the fire as I sit with basket next to me filled with delicious looking wool, is warm, almost hot, but the back of me, chilly. The nature of a fire, warms one side at a time. We need rotating chairs I think. Perfect day for gingerbread men making and bread baking.
This crisp October morning is simply perfect in every way.

Comments

Tina Leigh said…
Patty it looks so cozy....I think I can smell the oatmeal too! Add it to the book!
Rowan said…
What a lovely mental picture your post conjures up - and I love the photo of the spinning wheel in front of the stove. Such a lovely old-fashioned scene.
Jenny said…
Oh you make me wish for autumn as we are just in the full throws of spring. Spring here is full of changing weather, wind , rain, perfect soft sunny days. This year we have even had a hot blistering wind that in some parts of the state fanned raging bushfires. Autumn is a much more settled time here. The weather certainly knows how to wake you up after a long winter's snooze.
Peggy said…
I would love to visit and watch you spin while we chat and drink a cup of tea. It would be so peaceful. Love visiting your blog as I always leave feeling like I was right there with you.
Patty said…
thanks everyone, glad you liked the photo. It sure was a cozy day with the fire going.
JacquiG said…
Oh I really like the photo of your spinning wheel! I agree with Peggy, it would be wonderful to sit by your fire with a cup of tea and chat with you and watch you spin.

Jackie in ON
Emily said…
Hello Patty....I've been reading your blog for some time, but have never commented before. I just wanted to let you that your writing and photographs minister to me in such a way that even when I am experiencing a tempest in my soul, I come away with a blessing of peace and tranquility. You must have such a gentle spirit that it shines through in your words. May the grace and peace of our Lord be with you. Blessings in Jesus!

Popular Posts