Chilly Morning



The cold woke me. Pulling the covers up around my neck did little to chase away the chill. A window or two had been left open a bit last night inviting in the cold north wind. Pulling on my red wool socks, and donning a cozy flannel shirt over my nightgown.
The cold felt uncomfortable and in the fogginess of early morning thinking, I wondered how in the world we keep the house warm in winter when its really cold. The first few chilly days seem so much worse then they really are. The transition from hot dry summer that went on forever in my mind, made way for this other type of weather, that makes me question if cold is really fun like I say.
I took the tea kettle off the stove, knowing that as soon as I drifted off to sleep, this wild screaming tea kettle would start whistling. I was proud of myself for remembering that in a hour of the day when the brain is still stiff with sleep.
After the rooms felt cozy, I climbed back into bed, pulling up another comforter. It was 5 am by this time and Emery was awake. We told old jokes, laughed at being buried under mounds of covers and both of us half expected to be told by some adult to be quiet and go to sleep, but we are the adults and we could be as silly as we wanted.
Sleep came again and it was that deep comfortable sleep that is hard to wake from. The fire had gone out and to me it needed to be built up again. Emery was content to just put on his jacket, knowing it was going to warm up, but not me, I wanted that fire roaring.
Laying in bed while the fire was revived, I had time to think, think about the things that are important in my life. First thing, the thing that defines me, is my love of God. Or rather its my personal knowledge that God loves me and He takes care of me and therefore loving Him is natural and easy. I don't always understand all the fine details of what this relationship needs but the fact will always remain that I know who made me, and makes miracles happen over and over in my life.
Looking out my window and seeing the beauty of the day, assures me that His love is tender and filled with care.
While waiting for the floor to loose its wintry bite, I thought about the olden days in the United States, before telephones, computers and cars. You knew what you knew from your parents, the Bible, your pastor and teachers. They pretty much agreed. Taught the same core things. Now we are bombarded with things from every corner of thought.
You owned a few books if you were lucky. At this point in my life that sounds kind of good. The Amish go to school to the 8th grade, many Mennonites too. No T.V. no radio, no "worldly" books. Things all fit together, they hear the same thing from all around.
The biggest negative in my life is knowing too many philosophies, too many religious options of thought.
I wonder if I could ever recapture that simple belief system ever again. To accept one belief system without any influence from others, I don't mean other people in any personal sense, but rather "other" books, teachings etc.
We strive so hard to live a simple life and we are doing o.k. in that aspect, but simple thought, simple mindset is another whole road to go down. I do know it would bring me peace of mind though.
Life is full of challenges, my newest one will be to find that simple mind set that will settle my questioning mind.

Kindling helps get a fire going in the dark hours of early morning

The fire is cozy now

Red wool socks keep my feet warm


Comments

Popular Posts