A Cold North Wind

A cold front came through late this afternoon, dropping our temperature 20 degrees in a short time. It went from summer like to fall in no time at all.
Now its nearly 11 pm and the house is dark. The only light is what comes from the computer screen. The windows are open, despite the cool night air. The wind is chasing itself in swirling madness. The trees are bending and the old farm gate is rattling. My feet are cold, and I am dressed so strangely. A combination of summer and fall. Wool socks, shorts and a brightly colored stripped long sleeve pajama top from Hanna Anderson. Part of me wants to close the window and shut out the north wind but then another part of me is reveling in the cold night air. I thought I heard the pitter patter of rain a bit ago, but it never smelled like rain. Makes me doubt what I heard. Perhaps it was just the wind making noise on the crispy leaves still stubbornly holding onto the tree.
Tomorrow will be a good day for soup. The kind that needs to simmer on the stove all day long, filling the house with that steamy goodness, smelling of carrots and onions and other good thing.
It feels like all is well in my own little world tonight. Emery is asleep in the next room, his easy breathing peppered with a quiet little snore every once in a while. Good sounds, restful sounds. A dog barking in the distance, no doubt worried by some strange scent carried on the wind.
I was thinking about our pony Tony and how he would get so excited when a cold front was approaching. He was a wonderful weather indicator. He would run from one end of the pasture to the other as it was approaching, holding his tail up high and frolicking like a colt. I miss him. Tonight I think I miss farm animals and pails of warm milk being strained, bottled and refrigerated for the mornings use. I miss the smell of barns filled with clean hay and kittens sitting near the milking stand, hoping for a stream of warm milk to be shot in their direction.
The cold air makes me feel homesteadish. It always does.
That big old bed, with the steps at the foot is looking good to me. The feather mattress soft and inviting, tonight I will pull up the down comforter too and be lost in a sea of feathers. Yes, the windows will stay open all night, so I can watch the clouds race across the sky and hear the wind running in circles outside my window.

Its a perfect night.

I have much to be grateful for...

a baby coming in the family

a wedding coming up

cotton knit pajamas that are outrageously comfortable

a husband I adore

children that are a blessing beyond words

Music, all kinds of music

Cold North Wind, playing outside my window

Wool socks

My dads pacemaker was replaced without any problems

Love, compassion, and hope.

And of course, Simple things that make us all smile


Comments

A lovely post Patty. I like the cold weather, and like you, sleep with the windows open so I can breathe that sea air.
Melanie said…
I love your gratitudes today.

Popular Posts