An Early Birthday


Plain and simple, I am blessed. Yup, its not a brag its just a fact. This past week having my dad with us has been so wonderful. A reminder to me of how blessed I have been to be raised by such loving parents. My mom has been gone for 20 years but her impact on my life is still seen daily.
Having dad here reminds me of all the patience and love he showed my sisters and I consistently through our lives.
Its been fun spoiling him a bit with home made apple pie and for his early birthday, strawberry shortcake just like my grandmother (my moms mother) would make him each year for his birthday. We figured up that it had been over 30 years since he has had one like that. We make our strawberry shortcake on sweet biscuits and not with cake.
My dad had two big pieces last night and looked very satisfied.
His actual birthday is the 6th but since he will be back at his home then, we decided to celebrate early. I think he looks pretty good for going to be 85 next week.
I will take my dad to the airport tomorrow and it seems like this visit has gone way too fast and how we all wish he would just stay with us. He is such a joy to have around, and it would be such an honor to have him live with us.
Melanie and Casi were over too. They were glowing after a visit to the Doctors where they got to see baby moving all around during the ultrasound. The Dr will be seeing Melanie every two weeks instead of the normal once a month since she is a high risk patient, and he is already preparing her for the fact that they will induce her as soon as the baby is fully developed. It almost sounded like that could be one month early.
Melanie worked yesterday and nothing was mentioned about being fired or even being written up, but I still would like everyone to pray for that situation. If nothing else, that they be kind to her and lessen any stress for her.

We had the television on a couple times this week and I had to quickly turn the station as the language was graphic and smutty. It was a news type show and frankly it was shocking and certainly not something you felt comfortable listening to in mixed company, but each channel was much the same. We have become numb I think as a people to violence and sex. I remember reading the title to a book by a Rabbi not long ago, something to do with people not blushing anymore. How true.
I think its time to rethink having the squawk box in the house again. We went many many years without one, maybe its time to rethink the reason we have one. If its in the house, you tend to turn it on when you feel a bit bored. There are some good shows on but they are few and far between.
Simple is best and its just simplier to not subject your mind to the things on the television.

Comments

Hi Patty, Boy that cake looks soooo good and happy happy day for your dad's birthday. Mine is on the fourth:)
I have been your daughter and son in law in my prayers and I am glad she is getting the good care that she deserves. I have had two babies a month early and they were very healthy and robust!
Genuine Lustre said…
Your dad looks great, and reminds me a great deal of my own dad.
You are indeed fortunate to have your lovely papa still with you.
I'm sure you enjoyed making a big fuss of him.
Anonymous said…
Happy Birthday to you dad.
I totally agree ith you about all the unpleast things that is shown on tv these days. I would be so ok without a television around. Unfortunately I don't think my husband would agree on that.
Anonymous said…
Happy Birthday wishes sent to your dad, and by the way he is a very nice looking lad I must say.
I so agree with you about television. I want good quality tv and we as the people do not seem to have a say in to what they put in to the american famly livingroom any more.
... Paige said…
How wonderful to have a celebration! Your dad looks great. Love him much while you can.
Alena said…
oh, Patty, that cake looks to die for!!! What a great treat for your father, he surely looks like a very nice man, he has such a beautiful sparkles in his eyes, he looks so young and optimistic... I am sure you had a fantastic time together...
Marci said…
How exciting to have your Dad there. He is a very dapper looking gentleman and does not look his age at all.

I am glad that the doctor is really watching over Melanie and the baby. We will all pray her through this pregnancy!!
Granny said…
Patty, we had the satellite turned off for several months and then DH wanted it back on for football season. I would be perfectly happy if I never saw another television!

Your dad looks great! I'm so glad there were no problems at work for Melanie . . so far.

I'm praying for her and the baby through this pregnancy.

Judy L.
Patty said…
Hi Sharon Kay, I saw on your profile you are in Florida, so isn't my dad.

Popular Posts