Thoughts on a Quiet Saturday

Bright and early this morning I headed off to the hospital to pick up Melanie. Casi had to work, so I helped out. She was feeling much better this morning, just knowing what the cause of the upset stomach was made everything alright.
I got Melanie home and sent her to bed, not much sleep in the hospital last night. I did the few dishes in her sink and did a few chores while she slept soundly.
By noon time I headed off to do some errands, one of which was a trip to Goodwill in search of baby clothes. What fun I had. At this point I chose rather neutral things, but when we know if its a girl or boy, then things will change.
Its amazing to just know we are going to be grandparents. A whole new generation. The joy is profound. Another generation to love and nurture.
I wish I had my mother with us still, it would be fun to compare notes to see if she felt just the same as I do now.
Perhaps thinking this will inspire me to keep a journal of how I am feeling so that down the road, additional generations will know the way my heart feels right now.
My mind wandered through the years gone by, as I made supper tonight. Wondering what I will do differently with a grandchild, now that I have seen what my own parenting resulted in. So many good things in my children, we had to have done many things right, but I wonder now, if my grand-mothering will be more gentle in movements. More quiet. I think so. Influenced much by what I have observed in the devout Buddhist families I have watched. More diversionary tactics, than other forms of correction when they would be in my care. In my own youthful mothering, I had too much energy to harness it in that way. We did more marching bands, and dramatic songs and plays. From where I stand now, that seems to be the parents part and I am now going to be the grandmother. A different role. I have time to think about what kind of grandmother I want to be. Fun, yes, full of exploration and teaching, that is from my own parenting too, but somehow it seems to me it will be quiet. Almost a whisper, as if the child will have to lean close to hear the words and songs.
For years I have been collecting children's books to read to the grandchildren I knew we would someday have. Wonderfully illustrated, pastels and soft. I suspect even when I first started buying these books, I was deciding to be soft and a pastel like grandmother.
Simple too. Uncomplicated, no drama in my life to influence my words or actions. Yes, simple would be the word but yet still full of wonder and awe for life. It feels as though I was meant for just such a job.
What a journey this will be....

Comments

Sunny said…
YES "The joy is profound."

"I wish I had my mother with us"
DOUBLE YES!!


keep a journal
OH YES!

the way my heart feels right now.
YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES
Anonymous said…
You are going to be a wonderful grandmother I can tell. How lucky your grandbaby will be. :)
Just when you thought you were feeling sad about being an empty nester another door opened with a new focus. Life moves is wonderful ways.
Life moves in wonderful ways....
Sorry about that - I should read things before I send.
Rowan said…
Congratulations to you all on the new little life that is growing. You will love being a grandmother, you get all the fun things without any of the sleepless nights etc etc
So much to look forward to.
What joy! It's a lifechanging event, for sure, full of priceless moments and wonderment.
What blessed news! May the Lord give her a healthy pregnancy and an easy birth! (what's THAT?!?) May you also be blessed, dear sister. :)

http://www.ilovejesus.com/myhome/firewife/
Anonymous said…
I'm still new at this grandmother thing and sorting out my feelings, but it is such an exciting journey! What we didn't do right with our own children, we can do with our grandchildren - what a joy!

Popular Posts