Walking....



It's common knowledge, the more you walk, the more you can walk.
Nothing deterred me from walking today,
not even approaching rain clouds. The air heavy as if the clouds and the dew laden land met, filling the air with moisture that hung like a damp rag around my neck.
I dressed kinda cute for my walk. Combed my hair all nice and put on some make-up. Twenty steps from the house, my hair was frizzled with the humidity and my make-up seemed to be sliding off my face, it wasn't thankfully, but it felt that way.
It was early yet, so the sidewalk my own. Flowers blooming here and there. Some lawns green from tender care and watering, others parched with deep cracks in the soil. Like so many things in life, it depends on the amount of care given as to how it looks.The University, deserted. Not yet time for the influx of fall students and not many summer students around it appears.
As is my custom, I head right for the library. They have stairs. No need to buy a stair master, when there are lovely stairs not more than a mile away. 50 stairs to be exact. At the top, huge windows with a view of our small town. Reward enough for the exercise. They know me at the library by sight and have grown accustomed to my brief visit with them.
I suspect they see me as eccentric, but at 51, soon to be 52, that is far from important to me. Writing 52 seems odd, as though I have to make sure I am 51 first. Next month, on the same day as Napoleon was born, I will have to start writing 52 for my age. Funny, I feel 28, really, seriously I do.
As I walked today I wondered how you know when to head home since I never got tired. I walked at a good clip too but never felt the need to rush. I could have walked forever. Part of me wanted to just keep going and going to see if I would get tired ever.
Further and further I ventured. To the pond to see the ducks, past the post office and the few tiny stores we have. All over the campus and further. When walking, my mind feels free to think deeply about life, about changes, about the things that stay constant and about my personal goals.
No cell phone, walk man or disc man for me on a walk . This is my alone time. Thinking time. After a while, having no idea of the time, I turn a corner and head home. Refreshed, relaxed and feeling so profoundly healthy.
I am "living spherically and in many directions" and loving it.

A shaddy walkway

The library stairs

Local shops



Comments

Anonymous said…
What a beautiful library! I love to walk and must make time to do it more :-)
Sunny said…
Patty, you live in the cutest place. I bet you looked cute as a button on your walk too, "frizzy" hair and all!
R. Aastrup said…
Is Southwestern the university you write of? If so, somewhere there, you'll find a painting of my grandfather who was president of the college many years ago!

I so know the feeling of hair going frizzy!!! Your description made me laugh...sympathetically of course =)
Patty said…
Yes Rondi, Southwestern, right down the end of our road, of course all roads lead to SWAU around here : )
Ahh yes, the frizzies, what would life be without them, said in my most dreamy voice
I will have to look around for his painting. Was it your moms dad ?
R. Aastrup said…
Yes...Chester Kellogg...

I tried straighening my hair today with a flat iron...a bit of a waste of energy...as I figured it would be...

Popular Posts