A Look Back, My Grandmothers Wedding Book



Out from the sheltering home-nest,
In the evening's misty light, ___
Our new-fledged birdlings flew away,

Part of a poem that is in my grandmothers keepsake book, titled " The Bride of Today" by Adelaide Sarah Jordan, published in 1912. My grandparents were married December 11,1919 age 17.
I couldn't help but think of Melanie as I read this poem. You can click on the picture of the poem to read all of it.

The book is written so sweetly. Poems fill the pages along with spaces to be filled out for gifts received, and who sent wedding cards, who attended the wedding and such.
Reading the poems one quickly sees that life was far more innocent then. From the parents home to her new home. No life on your own "finding yourself" or making a career for yourself.
I was pretty old fashioned, which comes as no surprise I am sure. Home until I married at age 24. From my parents loving care right into the loving care of my husband.

So here I sit, working on plans for another daughters wedding, musing over another wedding to come in the fall for Steven while reading about a wedding that took place 87 years ago. Looking at the list of who sent cards is like reading a family history for me. In the two pages of cards sent I saw names of family members we have so carefully researched in doing our family history and on the second page I saw the names of Capt and Mrs. Charles Hines. Through my childhood my grandmother told me such stories of this sea captain and his brother the ship builder. Seeing their names made me pause and dream of clipper ships with huge white sales, leaving Nova Scotia's Bay of Fundy for Boston and ports beyond. "Captain Charlie" was my Grandmothers Uncle.
I do hope the Bride books of today will hold a key to our history, but I fear they will not have poems such as this old book (sigh)

Comments

Marci said…
We can always try and change that Pat. Get an empty journal in white. Fill it with poems throughout. Let the guest sign in it, or put their names in after the wedding. I too think we let far too much go these days. We are leaving a lot of memories that will die with us.
Kelli said…
Beautiful poem and what a wonderful family treasure you have.
Kelli

Popular Posts