A Morning Ramble



As the morning sky began to turn from black to that early morning shade of blue gray, much like the fog at sea, I rolled out of bed. Stretching and yawning at the same moment.
Off to the kitchen to grind some coffee beans and head to the shower. Took a side trip to the other bathroom and weighed myself. I don't weigh very often, preferring to judge my size by the fit of my clothes. Scales like clocks dictate so much. I don't care much for dictators. But, after a week-end of only French food, I wanted to check what the scale would say. Comfortable knowing it had to be more weight gone, by the way my dresses seem longer on me. The one I wore yesterday, now reaching down to my ankles. It wasn't that long before.
The scale told the story. Down a total of 16 lbs since coming back from my trip back east.
Glorious in the scales tale, I head to the shower. Singing the entire time. My mood, light like the morning breeze.
Breakfast made, bed stripped with sheets in the washer, my darling and I enjoy this bit of morning together before he heads out the door. Reminiscent of the era of "Leave It To Beaver" wives, I kiss my gentle man as he walks out the door. I am dressed in a sweet summer dress, hair done and make-up carefully applied. He lingers, looking at me as he stops midway, pulling out of the driveway. His face so full of love.Ten minutes later he calls to tell me how beautiful I looked to him as I had waved good-bye to him. I smile. Love is so deeply profound.
This morning is cool, compared to the past two weeks. The sheets hung on the line, white lace trim, catching the attention of the kittens. I felt compelled to just look at them fluttering in the tiny breeze as though they were great pieces of art, to be admired. Coming closer I could already catch the scent of fresh linens. I mused that bed will be extra comfy tonight, the feather bed all fluffed up, the pillows plumped.
The gardens needed water. Thirsty roses, lavender, and rosemary called to me. Early morning walkers taking advantage of the cool, call out cheery greetings as I water the front flower beds. I am reminded how much I love my life. Its so nice to hear, " Good Morning !" spoken by strangers. It makes you feel hopeful for the world. A young man, running like a boxer, nods and says "morning" An older woman taking slow difficult steps, stops to say she enjoys looking at our flowers. A woman who has walked by my house every day for maybe two years, says her greeting much like an old friend would. A young woman, a student at the university, far away from her native land, hesitates a moment, says good morning with a thick accent, her entire face smiling when I reply. Did my morning watering remind her of home in some way ? I suspect so, her step lighter as she walked on.
The vegetables watered last night looked less in need. So I pass them by and leave them until this evening.
Its hard to drag myself back in the house, but furniture to dust, woodwork needing a fresh coat of paint.
Some sewing and hand work begging to be worked on.
A book, waiting to be finished.... so many pleasures, so many joys all in one single morning.

Comments

Pam said…
Patty, does Emery offer classes on how to be a romantic, gentle husband? LOL...sign my dh and sons up!

You guys make me so happy, with all your love for each other! May God bless you both richly!

Grace & Peace
Pam
Patty said…
Hi Pam,
He didn't start out that way ! I showed him the joys of romance by setting the stage early on. He caught on. My son Steven is also very thoughtful after years of having visual delights of fancy meals, good smells, and flowers on the table at all times.
Unknown said…
My sweet friend,what a truly great day to be alive,it sounds like your day was wonderful. Love is a wonderful thing...we are lucky gals...Hugs Tina

Popular Posts