Kheer Cooking

Since I will be making some of the food for the wedding, I decided to work on perfecting one of the recipes for a dessert that we will be serving.
Our family is a huge fan of rice Kheer. Its a popular dessert from India. We could eat it every day and never be tired of it.
We like it with raisins and without. Just not sure which way to make it for the wedding reception.
So today starts a week of testing to see just which way we will want it served. More or less cardamon ? With raisins or without ? Pistachios or not ? As you can see there are some choices to be made. No one will complain for the next week as I try out several variations to get the final vote. I am guessing Melissa will be sad she is not here to be enjoying the testing !
On a side note, we all like it chilled best.

Here is the recipe I use most often....

RICE KHEER
Ingredients:
1/4 cup long grain rice (washed and drained)

4-5 cups milk
2-3 cardamom pods (crushed)
2 tbsp almonds (blanched silvered)
A pinch of saffron threads, soaked in a little hot milk
1 tbsp skinned pistachio nuts (chopped)
1 tbsp raisins (optional)
2-3 tbsp sugar, more if you like it very sweet

How to make kheer:
Put the rice, milk and cardamom in a pan, bring to boil and simmer

gently until the rice is soft and the grains are starting to break up.
Add almonds, pistachio, saffron and raisins and simmer for 3-4 minutes.
Add the sugar and stir until completely dissolved.
Remove the rice kheer from heat and serve either warm or chilled.

Comments

Maya Madhavan said…
Mmm.. yummy! I just gotta have a bowl of kheer now! :)
I can imagine the fun everyone will have with the different variations you are going to be coming up with. Any chance you can put some up for us to download? ;)

The optional raisins reminded me of the time when I added them too early and it caused the milk to curdle. The kheer was tasty but it didn't look very appetizing. The worst thing was we had guests over and I had to serve ready-made sweets for dessert instead.
I usually fry the nuts and raisins lightly in clarified butter (ghee) and add it to the kheer at the very end or once the kheer it taken off the heat.
Patty said…
Now you will have to make some Kheer Maya !
The one thing I never can make right is coconut Barfi. I have made it too hard, too grainy, too soft and never just right.
I want to make some and color it pink for the wedding. I can make the cashew barfi just fine ! Tonight we are having aloo tikki !

Popular Posts