Simple Supper and Favorite Shoes




It must be a bit slow around here since the last few posts have been primarily about food. Having things a bit slow is fine for me. I need some down time after several weeks of total busy-ness.
This afternoon I cleaned out my shoe collection. At any given time there are never more than say 15 pairs of shoes in my possession, but lately as I attempt to dress better all the time, there has been an increased need for a few more pairs.
In the closet is this pair of navy shoes. I just love them. Comfortable as anything. But I suspect maybe they are a bit out of style, just not sure as my own love of them may cloud any discernment.
As I filled a bag to go to Goodwill of the shoes that are a bit too worn I held on to these navy shoes. Just couldn't bring myself to part with them.
Think they will be o.k. for another year, at least I hope so.
The closet floor is now tidy and well organized, a bit bare perhaps but that way I have room for new shoes.

I have posted this recipe before, but its a real delight for summer evenings so thought I would share it one more time.




Tomatoes Provencale

This recipe is particularly good in late summer, when the large beefsteak tomatoes are ripe and very fleshy. The tomatoes can be partially cooked ahead of time, so it takes only five minutes to complete the dish just before serving—and they are precooked and then finished in a gratin dish that can go directly from the oven to the table.
2 pounds ripe fleshy tomatoes (about 4)
3 tablespoons virgin olive oil
1 1/2 slices bread
2 cloves garlic, peeled
1/2 cup loosely packed parsley leaves
1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt

Cut the tomatoes in half parallel to the stem, and arrange them in a gratin dish that is attractive enough to bring to the table. Oil the tops of the tomatoes with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, and place them under a preheated broiler, about 4 inches from the heat. Broil for 6 to 8 minutes.

The tomatoes should be firm but tender when pierced gently with the point of a knife, and look slightly crusty and lightly brown on top.Prepare the bread crumb mixture: Place the bread in the bowl of a food processor and pulse for about 10 seconds, until the bread is crumbed (you should have about 2/3 cup) . Add the garlic, parsley, and thyme, and process for another 10 seconds, until the mixture is combined. Transfer it to a bowl, add the remaining 2 tablespoons oil and the pepper and salt, and toss gently. Spoon evenly over the tomatoes.Just before serving, place the tomatoes under a preheated broiler, about 8 inches from the heat, and broil for 5 to 6 minutes, until they are heated through and brown on top. Serve immediately.
Just before these were done, I added a mix of Italian cheeses and broiled until the cheese had melted and browned a bit. I cheated and used Italian seasoned bread crumbs before sprinkling on the cheese
4 SERVINGS

Comments

Alena said…
dear Patty,
I have been catching up on your blog - loads of things happening there at your place - I loved the dresses for the wedding... I am truely really tired after our stay at my parents' house... last week we were still spending in Belgium, now I am at home with the children - our moving will start 14 August, so, I hope I will still manage to pack some stuff myself before this date... Take care...
Lucy said…
Hi Patty, I would love to come and taste and share with you one of yoru dinners ;-) it looks so jummy !!
Reviekat said…
The tomatoes look delicious!! I like the shoes, too. They are very pretty. :)

Popular Posts