Old Projects


Emery has been busy insulating the attic of our house. Due to the heat up there, he has been getting started on the job around 4 am and finishes by 10 am.
It should save us some money having that done as far as the electric bill for cooling the house in summer.

Its always fun being up in the attic, its full of our old treasures. Things we just can't seem to part with for sentimental reasons but that we just don't use any more. The children's toys are up there, their baby clothes, along with boxes of baby things I have collected in the past few years in hopes of grandbabies. Heirloom type baby things. Smocked outfits and dresses and rompers with lots of embroidery and tiny tucks.
This morning Emery brought down some boxes for me to look through, one was fabric and in the bottom of the container there was part of a quilt I started before I was married, so we are talking about 30 years ago. I ran out of the border print so put it away so long ago. Big old maple leaves appliquéd from calicos. I have all the squares appliquéd, just not enough border print to finish it. I wonder what I can do with it now.
Also in the same container was this Amish design quilt blocks I stitched together a few years ago. All that is left to do, is put them together and quilt them.
Its kinda fun putting things away and then rediscovering them years later, you feel like you have something new.
Today we need to go furniture shopping. We are giving Melanie our tired old furniture, purchased way back in 1988 when she was just 5 years old. Now it will be in her home. Seems like I am giving her half of my house, which is kind of nice, we get to start over with new furniture. She was walking through the house last night and I would say, " do you want this?" and she said she was very happy she is setting up housekeeping when I was in one of my decluttering moods !
Its nice that they will have a bit over a month to set up their new home. When Melissa went off to college and had her first apartment, we did the same thing. Walked through the house sharing what we have with her.
By the time Melanie takes all her stuff out of the house, the house will seem rather bare.
More attic stuff just came down for me to go through. Lots of memories tied up with the things up there

Comments

R. Aastrup said…
Every piece of furniture in my house except one is such a gift as you've given your daughters. I have things from parents, grandparents, aunts, and sisters. I love that a have very few new things, and that there are memories tied to what I do have. Nothing matches, but I don't care. It's all lived-in-and-loved furniture! I'm sure the same goes for yours.
Patty said…
So true Rondi about most of my furniture. The girls jokingly fight over who can have the cedar chest when I die, since it was made by my great grandfather. That sort of thing. Although my bedroom set was purchased a year ago at an estate sale. New for us but still used !
R. Aastrup said…
On the other hand...I'm sure you'll have fun picking out your new furniture, too...and creating brand new memories to cherish over the next thirty or so years =)
Finn said…
Hi Patty, and happy 4th of July to you *VBS* I really like your vintage maple leaves. I don't quite understand what you mean when you say you don't have enough "border print" to finish. Do you mean the fabric you used for sashing between the blocks? If that's all that is stopping you I have a couple of ideas. First of all, you very well might find something that would work well at Gohn's. I'd check what they have in their calico. Second I'd consider this a truly vintage piece, stop fretting about it's age. Love the blocks themselves...and put your seam ripper to work. Get the top back to where it's just the maple leaf blocks and use a whole different fabric for sashing and/or borders. So many of us are kind of ashamed of the "early" quilts..the old small calico efforts because the fabric industry has moved us so far over from where it all started. If we love the fabrics from the 1920's and 30's enough to reproduce them, why would it be any different with fabrics from the '80s and '90s??
We may never go back to really loving the small prints of those calicos, but then I doubt the wives working with feedsack ever thought they would be re- produced 80 years later..*VBS* Hugs, Finn

Popular Posts