Grinding Wheat Together


When Blogger likes me better, I will add the photo that was intended to go with this. I gave up after 6 attempts at uploading it !

For some time now, perhaps a couple years, I have been watching people. Listening to their life stories, and hearing the same theme deep within each line.
Some people want to take for the hills, and homestead. Changing life completely. Getting " Off Grid" and seeking their peace and happiness that way. Other folks, eat too much, trying to numb the things they are feeling, mostly loneliness, even with people all around them. Others shop till they drop and end up with credit card debt so beyond what they can pay off, they are visiting the Doctor for depression in no time. Fights over money the biggest reason for divorce in the country.
Some or many have jobs that stink. There is little of no loyalty on either end. Bosses on ego trips. Maybe they are out of control in their personal lives so they become office Control Freaks, trying to control everyone around them, without compassion, patience, fairness or any hint of ethics. We work for things, SUV's that guzzle gas, big homes that suck money from people and although big and spacious, you have no time or money left to have people over to see what you work for. Closets full of stuff you have no idea why you bought and garages packed with no room for the car. Just all this stuff.
Many children seem totally self centered, and they have no idea how to play or amuse themselves. Super Nanny needed in more homes than not. Hard to give proper discipline to your children when you can't discipline yourself.
Rooms full of gadgets that we hope will keep them happy, but I suspect they are just like the rest of us, lonely and would rather have real people in their lives other than on line friends, game boys, x box and the like.
Its a tough world out there and what we really should be seeking is real, face to face in person friendships and family connections.
Friendships and family unity takes time and commitment. And we are on some sort of conveyer belt of rushing and acquiring that doesn't allow us to get off and work towards the things that will really meet our needs.
I have lots of computer friends but there is something strange and uncommitted about that sort of friendship. Your email taken wrong, some simple misunderstanding, no facial expressions to show it was what it really was and voila, you are gone, sent to deletia, taken out of the address book, put on a blocked list and that's that. Simple, no work, can't be bothered etc.
In my mothers day, she had family all around her. I grew up with cousins, aunts, uncles, grandparents etc all in walking distance. If my mother was busy, I had Gram or a cousin or someone handy to chat with. My mother had real friends, not computer buddies. She could do her house work in the morning, look around and say, "wonder if Mary would like to come for coffee? " call her up and in no time Mary or whoever she called would be at the door. They could see each other, see expressions on each others face and talk about serious things or crafts or just life. Life was like that. Simple in that way. Once a month the ladies met for Craft night and had fun sharing ideas and recipes, they bowled on Tuesday mornings, they had woman's missionary meetings at church one evening a month. They dressed up, no jeans and tees for them. Social needs were met. No one had storage buildings full of stuff or ate more than what they needed to. Women might be plumpish, but I didn't know obese ladies then. Possessions didn't take center stage, relationships did.
Men don't seem to have the same needs as women do. We are a social lot. We invent cyber groups, looking for social connections, only they are not quite meeting all our needs. And we can delete them with a click of a key. Not so easy with face to face friends and we have our cyber friends on our terms on our time. We don't learn to give and take with the same level of patience. So few people have family all around now. Big holiday get togethers, picnics, and the like. Our children don't know many second cousins I fear. Family is scattered. So here were are in a progressive world, with instant everything, including friends, but we are missing something. We are not sitting around the grind stone grinding wheat together. Talking, being women. We are chasing after pipe dreams, hollow things that leave us empty. We don't even recognize what we want. So we fill up on what's at hand, food and shopping. A quick fix that doesn't last.
I really believe things like the Red Hat Society have popped up and become so popular because of our need for friendships that are real and not just cyber.
I am personally making a commitment to create a circle of friends that are the kind of women who want this very same thing. The kind that will bring casseroles to one another in times of need. Women who can just pop over for coffee or tea. Women that want to have a sense of community.
I miss that about the Mennonite life, but that is changing for them too. They are getting more money and money can separate you from need and need is what people help us with and fill a need within us. You think when you have money, you can do so many things by yourself, be independent. You can but that's not all its cracked up to be.
Friendship takes time and energy. It takes putting up with stuff from time to time. We are not perfect.
Homesteading and getting off grid might put us in touch with seeing where are needs really are, but it won't fill the needs within us unless we reach out.
The high executive life might give us things and give us a sense of worth, but we retire and then what is left, memories and the fact that no time was there for making life long friends that are close to us, in our homes for coffee with no fan fare. Just "grinding wheat" together.
Voids can be filled. It just takes some time to figure out what the container is in need of.

Comments

Reviekat said…
I loved this post, Patty! I wish there were ladies around me who wanted to get together for sewing circles - to chat while we did handiwork. Or as you said, to come over in the afternoon for tea. I remember my gramma having ladies over for just this purpose. It's too bad our society is so transient that people can't/don't become involved with one another. I hope you find a wonderful circle of ladies with which to surround yourself. :) Revee
Marci said…
Pat, I sure wish I lived closer. I too am looking for that. Everyone here says they don't have time, although they make time for what is important to them... running around doing the things you talked about.

How close are you to Houston? My husband keeps telling me about a job posting there. =)
Patty said…
4 1/2 hours from Houston and oh dear its so humid there, Ft Worth area is so much nicer Marci.

Its funny, everyone says they are too busy, yet spend hours on the computer keeping up with cyber friends : )
Unknown said…
Patti, I agree with Revee, I do love this post and it's true for me too, I am very fortunate that I have a wonderful group of girl friends and we have gotten together often. We don't sew together but we go to musicals,plays,and girl teas which are fun. My family is so far away,I miss them so much. In reading your posts I always admire how connected you are to yours you have such a warm,rich history..Because of this I have started asking questions of my folks who are both wonderful and still well. My Daddy shared some family history and told me who had it all documented for us....and my Mom is a first generation American on her mothers side and she told me what she could,my grannie passed away when she was 24 from Leukemia, she has a very hard time talking about her..I will try to talk to other family members. Anyway just wanted you to know that you are a very powerful writer and I consider you a friend and I think even on the internet we need to make an effort to maintain our friendships and watch them grow thru the years they need tending just as our friends here at home do...When I was a child and teenager I had two very special pen pals that to this day I correspond with we have known each other 38 years now we have never meet in person but they are special ...Thanks so much for sharing yourself and your wisdom..
Hugs Your Friend,
Tina
JacquiG said…
Boy this post really moved me and I agree with so much of what you have said.

Friendships ... difficult subject for me at the moment. My dearest friendship of 25 years came to an end at the beginnig of this year and I'm not really sure what happened. All I can think of that as I grew stronger and didn't *need* her as much as I used to, that's when things started to turn sour.

My other friends are younger than I am and are not interested in the same things. They spend their time together going to the mall, shopping and spending money. I stopped wanting to do that when I made a conscious decision to get off the consumer bandwagon and try to simplify my life. So I don't see them as often as I used to.

I'd love to have a group of ladies that I get get together with for tea or coffee, to work on crafts, or to share similar thoughts and ideas. But I seem to be different from everyone I know. I sound sorry for myself don't I?! But it is lonely sometimes. I don't know anyone who wants to keep chickens or wants to make soap, or wants to learn quilting ... all things I want to try.

Maybe these are the things about Amish and Mennonites that interest me, the way they share with and support each other. I've thought about joining the Red Hat Society but since most are retired and meet through the day, and I still work full time, well that won't work for me yet.

So here I am on the internet hoping to find ladies with similar interests.

Once again, thanks for this post, Patty.

Jackie in ON

Popular Posts