Thankful for good health and what works for us




Good health is something to be very thankful for and never to be taken for granted. Emery is 62 and I am 54 and neither of us is on a single medication. We keep fit, we try to eat good, without being fanatics about it. We don't stress over our eating or wake up every day thinking about it, we just live with the good habits we felt strongly about from the beginning of our marriage. Each year we strive to do better in some area or another so that we can remain full of vitality for many years to come.
I am a big fan of herbal medicine and for over 30 years I have sought out a natural remedy first to see if it would work before heading off to the doctor. At times western medicine has had to be the road taken and that's fine with me, but always I seek the natural way first.
It has helped to grow some of our own food, eating fresh and organic from our own soil and the years of goats milk has served us well too. Our bones are strong.
When my blood pressure started to creep up in numbers, it was time to up the exercise and begin in earnest to loose weight. My health was in my hands. I could change the direction of the numbers and I did. Today my blood pressure was 117/74 with a heart rate of 54. Emery's blood pressure is about the same. Life is good.
We don't eat much red meat, maybe if we totalled it, it would come up to about a pound each per year. We do enjoy fish and a bit of chicken now and again. We eat fruits and veggies often and lots of nuts. Plenty of water to drink and we do take a few supplements. I take a thyroid support, all natural and vegan. Emery takes a few minerals to keep a good balance for him since he is missing a good chunk of his intestines due to ruptured appendix as a child that turned gangrene.
Emery stays fit by working in the garden and with our hiking. Daily chores and hauling feed and hay are good strength builders. Hanging clothes is cardio. We don't just take our health for granted but are proactive in maintaining our health. We also try to keep our minds fit by learning new things all the time, for Emery its been the computer and for me its learning a new language along with a few brain games we play. Maintaining peace and calm, a life lived with as little stress as possible helps too. No debt, simple approach to living and not fussing over the things you cannot change and working towards changing the things we can change is our motto. We meditate on a regular basis too.
It all works for us. But I understand that what works for us, may not work for you. Seek to find what works to live a healthy life for you. Life is good and having a strong healthy body and mind just makes life even better. It takes work, but its so worth it. I am so thankful for our good health.
Also thankful for all the love in my life, that is a huge part of the equation and that too, is something you have to work on too. It needs to be fostered, nourished and cherished.

Comments

Val said…
Yes, it helps to eat well, exercise and stay happy and stress free. Thanks for sharing this wonderful post.
Dana and Daisy said…
I mean this with the utmost respect, that Emery is a hottie for 62~
:)
Patty said…
Hi Dana, I whole heartedly agree with you. This man is lookin good!
cheryl said…
I agree too , he is very handsome . You are surely blessed with good health and we all take it for granted until we lose it .

Popular Posts