Harry Meets A Country Neighbor


Harry is turning out to be one of the best dogs we have ever had and he is having to fill some big shoes left by our dog Speckles, that we had for 14 years. Specks was the ultimate farm dog.
We have had a difficult time finding a dog. After Speckles there was Fergus who was such a great dog, until he went crazy and went on a killing spree and then attacked Melanie. The vet explained to us that this sometimes happens with Border Collies, especially very inbred dogs. They just go crazy. Think in the movie Babe they showed a dog that was like that. Then the puppy we adopted from the pound only to find he had distemper and had to be put down. Then there was Pepper, so cute, but loved to eat chickens so she went to a good home that has no chickens. Needless to say I was feeling like we would never find a dog.....then came Harry. And what a great dog he is.
I am thinking Harry was a pampered city dog though. He sleeps on any rug in the house, loves to be petted, but he is still one of the best behaved dogs around. No jumping, no random barking. Stops when you stop and then sits when you have him on a lead. He sits on command.
He is wonderful. Just looks at the chickens and doesn't bother to chase them. This is the dog of all dogs for us. However, last night, this city boy, when he was out to do his business, thought we had a black cat with a white stripe down its back and wanted to chase it. It wasn't a cat...and it sprayed him, not full on thankfully, but enough that Harry had to sleep outside last night in his house, which is all comfy for him. He came in the house for a bit this morning, well long enough for me to decide he still had the perfume of the skunk on him and then he had to go back outside again. I was planning on taking him to the vets today, but honestly, I don't want him in the car just yet and I am guessing the vets office may not like his new perfume either.
Harry looks a bit sad being outside so I gave him a big new rawhide bone, which seemed to make him happy. Lets hope Harry learned that skunks are critters that you don't play with ! Its too cold to give him a bath today. I am hoping since it was more of a near miss than a direct hit, it might just wear off today, so Harry can sleep by the stove tonight and snore the night through.

Comments

Our daughter-in-law got from the vet a bottle of a rub-on potion for dealing with skunk spray. Just went looking for it to tell you hte name, but I think its in the back of the untidy entry cupboard--didn't want to linger there with bare feet. She has three dogs and after a bout of skunk and trying to use the tradtional tomato juice bath, she found this. Likely your vet would know.
Melanie said…
Tomato Juice Baths---Beware when he shakes ;). Cornstarch powder combed through his fur after the bath helps too. He's lucky he's got you to love him... It's a win/win situation... enjoy him...
Tina Leigh said…
Oh My Patty!!!!!! That is too funny!! I know it is not funny to yall & the poor fella...but it sure makes me giggle! I do hope the smell will wear off really soon.
I really like his looks. He looks well mannered & loving.
The Stricklands said…
I wonder if the skunks's name was Sally? ;) He looks like the perfect dog - sweet and smart. Poor guy - some neighbors just aren't very friendly!
Tatersmama said…
I know it's a pretty disgusting smell, but I miss it now that I can't smell it anymore.

Poor Harry... that just wasn't a very friendly cat, was it??!!
Stacy said…
he is just darling!!! hope he smells better soon!
Marci said…
Pat, our dogs have gotten sprayed many times by skunks. We found this recipe that works like a charm. If it is warm enough you can do it outside. The recipe is for a small dog, and we triple it for one of our Australian Shepherds. One recipe is 1 quart of peroxide, 1/4 cup of baking soda and 1 squirt of dish soap. Mix it all together in a bucket and lather up the dog and then rinse. It is amazing how well it works. It may take a long time to just wear off.
Never Settle said…
I am in love with Harry and I've only just heard of him. Adorable.
Margo in Maine said…
Harry is adorable..our last boston terrier did that...he crouched and the skunk just rubbed him at 2:00am what a ruckus in our house...I put him in the bathtub with tomato juice..that was what I had heard ..it helped some but we laugh about it today ...strange my leather pocketbook picked up the smell and when we went to church the next day we caught a whiff and laughed and the preacher questioned us after ..as he thought it was something he said... and we laughingly assured him it was not and told him the story...a lesson a little bit of sin will leave a residue...cute story...M
Lucy said…
I love to read about harry. He is a very good looking dog!
Becky said…
POOR HARRY!!!!!! Bless his heart he looks so dejected in the second picture. I worry about our dog Amelia when we get moved to our country land - I'm sure she will find lots to get herself in trouble.

Popular Posts