The Robins Have Returned


There must have been 25 robins in the yard today, picking over the land that Emery tilled. A sure sign that spring is on the way. The woods were full of flashes of red as Cardinals darted back and forth in the brush. The black walnut tree is alive with tiny buds, barely showing more than a speck of color. The fruit trees are just forming tiny tiny buds, closed tight but there to be seen if you look close. There is something so full of promise when we work the soil and plant tiny seeds. The Robins seem to share our enthusiasm for the coming season. Rain is on the way, to gladden and refresh the dry land.

Comments

Val said…
I can't wait for spring. There is just something about the garden, birds, flowers that make you feel like a new person. I love the feeling of all the new life.
Williams Arena said…
I'm jealous. I can't wait for the buds on the trees to appear. Spring is my favorite season. I miss the color green!
novascotiagal said…
Speaking from Nova Scotia, (which I know you are familiar with) what you have all winter long is what we would think of as spring, and a rather nice one at that! We are still buried in snow, ice, freezing rain this year. But the maple trees have had buds since fall - they are prepared to start spring even as the snow first flies, and that always makes my heart glad to see them. They let me know, all winter long, that spring will come.
Melanie said…
Robins---a definite reminder of spring. Looks like Harry is making himself at home....

Popular Posts