I Get Lazy

It's true, I can become very lazy about one aspect of my life. It's not housework or garden work or cooking, its about how I dress.
I have never been one to think much about how my hair looks, or what style looks best on me. I buy my clothes at Goodwill for the most part and look first and foremost to comfort, which seems to translate into tee shirts and pants with elastic waists. When I dressed plain, it was wonderful, same thing every single day, just a slight variation on fabric. I could cover my hair so I could just pull it up in a bun and that was that. But those days are gone. Never did think it was fair that the conservative mennonite men look just like anyone else but the women had to stand out like a sore thumb, talk about drawing attention to themselves ! Might be modest but it sure is an attention getter ! Anyway, back to the lazy me subject. Every so often I need to just take stock of my wardrobe. It's reverting back to what I call, "the man in my closet look"
Finding myself wearing clothes that any man might be able to wear without drawing any attention to himself.
So, today its going to be a day of cleaning out the closet, motivating myself to look a bit nicer and remembering that dressing up a bit is good for the soul.
I wrote this about how my style was slipping , it was true then and its true again now.
"So here I am wandering the isles of Goodwill, having no concept of what to buy. I suspect part of that is my body shape. Its a bit dumpy. Humpty Dumpty actually. I want to look svelte, sophisticated when I go out the door. That will come in time, I have no doubt about it, but right now, I feel like elastic waist and baggy. Comfortable sneakers, and cotton knit pants. But, that seems to affect my choices and actions some. We are going out on our dates to elastic waist places, not the Cafe on the Run, or the French Cafes and sitting for hours over a coffee and splitting a pastry. Its been Pizza or Taco's. Makes me forget to comb my hair and put on a favorite pair of earrings. I am not talking about the pursuit of vanity here, more like the pursuit of looking nice for myself and for my amazing husband. Looking good, makes us feel better about ourselves. Frump allows us to be frumpy eaters, frumpy cooks, frumpy dates. Yes, I date my husband, always have, but more now that the children are grown. I came out of Goodwill without one single purchase. Guess its time to watch Under the Tuscan Sun and French Kiss and get inspired. It doesn't take lots of money to look put together, it just takes some inertia ! Guess you know what I have been lacking in : ) "


Comments

~Bren~ said…
Great post as always, but I wanted to comment on the pics on your sidebar. I LOVE the pic of you and your date 30 years ago and the "still holding hands".
How in the world did a magazine editor not snatch Melanie up for a cover??? The girl is gorgeous, as is your Melissa! Your granddaughters are just as beautiful I love the new pics (and the new header)...thanks for showing them.
nancyr said…
I have been battling excess weight for many years, so I refuse to wear elastic waist pants. I wear jeans that zip and snap at the waist, which seem to keep me from overeating as much. Those waists get uncomfortably tight if I overly indulge!

I'm a Goodwill shopper too. Sometimes you find some great things, and other days, it seems that nothing is appealing.
JenJen said…
I tend to find looks that I like that are more timely or modern and then replicate them via the thrift store, etc.

It IS about feeling good and not about vanity. I frump when I'm at home cleaning or arting or just hanging out, but if we go out anywhere--even just to the store--I put on "actual clothes." I feel more awake when I do, and I think it probably presents a better image.

Nothing wrong with putting on earrings for a date at the taco stand, either! ;)

~JM
Iowa Gal said…
Hi Patty........ I just had to comment on your header at the top of the page. Is that your table, hat,etc,etc?? And the picture above your column......are those your things? You really know how to present a picture. They are so lovely. Makes me want to frame them.
Patty said…
Yup, they are all mine Iowa gal. Just my favorite hat for a hot summer day. I actually set the table nice for myself at lunch time.
The other picture is just what my table looked like after coming in from working in the garden and having a treat of lemonaide and some fresh fruit. Sometimes we just need to make things pretty for ourselves : )
Anonymous said…
I find myself struggling with the same things!
Anonymous said…
Patty, I know where you are coming from. I live in the country, rarely get into town, and spend anywhere from 12 to 15 hours each day, with nobody but the dogs, and they don't give a rip what I look like. I tend to live in tank tops and shorts...I am extremely hot natured. I do make myself decent right before my husband gets home from work and when I have to go into town. It is just too easy to get up and twist the hair up into a clip and throw on whatever is hanging around.
The Stricklands said…
I have struggled with this issue for years. I love t-shirts, adidas wind pants and flip flops. Not the most romantic of all outfits :0) I have told my children that when I am a grandmother, I will look pretty cool dressed this way, but now I wonder.... I have found myself longing for pretty skirts and cuter sandles. I think a trip to my favorite thrift shop is the place to start. Have a fun day with your sweet husband.
Mary

Popular Posts