The Adventures of Patty and Emery

The sun is up, the birds are singing and I sorta feel like I never slept a wink last night. Emery and I had an adventure. Whatever is getting into the chicken house is a crafty creature since we can't figure out where its getting in. We lost Lurch and Larry and now two chickens so its a situation that needs to be dealt with post haste.
Emery came up with an idea, it wasn't my idea mind you, but it has all the flavor of a "man solution" He drove the older station wagon out to front of the chicken house, parked it right in front of the door, put our comfy futon in the back, two pillows, a blanket, and made a nice bed out there for us to sleep in so when we would hear a ruckus, he could spring into action ! In a flash he would be able to save the chicken in danger, and then observe where this creature is entering and exiting the chicken house and thus be able to remedy the security breach. I kind of had the idea it would work just fine to wrap the hen house up with more chicken wire and then just sleep in our own comfortable bed, but I am a good sport so put on my mud boots and headed out to the "spymobile" for the night. Emery knew I would want some fresh air through the night so he lovingly fashioned a screen for the car window. He had thought of everything !
In no time at all I heard the man of my dreams enjoying sound sleep. I, on the other hand slept with one eye open, expecting to hear murderous sounds from the hen house at any moment. The rooster crowed about 3 am and that was the only sound we heard. I suspect that the skunk smelled us and said to himself..."this is not the night for a hen house raid". As first morning light rose in the eastern sky, we smelled a skunk, but a quick check on the chicken house revealed all was well. We walked back to the house, and on the way we noticed that the scent of skunk grew stronger. Maybe the skunk got run over last night in front of the house. We checked, almost smug at the thought. But no, he must have just laughed at our adventure and let loose near the house to assure us who was in control. Wonder what the plans will be for tonight in this great adventure ?

Comments

I just loved the story of your adventure in the "spymobil" last night. I hope ya'll are able to figure out how the critter is getting to your animals. Try to get some rest today - just in case it is another night in the "spymobil!"
Lisa in Texas = )
The Stricklands said…
What a fun adventure! Tomorrow's post may include wiretapping and night vision goggles :0) Don't you love that our men still have a little bit of boy in them? Take a nap and have a wonderful adventurous day.
Mary
ellemenope said…
About 10 years ago I had a bunch of exotic chickens, some exotic ducks and a peacock. One day we went out to feed, all the birds were there, then went to the barn to feed horses and when we came back all the birds were gone! Just feathers. My husband set up shop with a lawn chair, his dog and a shotgun and the perpetrator came back. A fox.

I lost all my birds except for my special pet, a polish chicken. She came back with her neck half eaten off. I fashioned a bandage for her out of a baby sock and she survived.
What an adventure you two had! I see a book in the making! LOL!
Mimi said…
Ha Ha Ha wish I had been hiding in the tree to see you two trying to catch the culprit!!!
so where will you sleep tonight?

Popular Posts