Some days....

I taught Mei-Ling to tap the side of her head with her tiny baby hand and say "oy vey!" It's so cute to see her do this. She completes it with a puzzled expression that just makes you laugh.
Today, I said "oy" more than once....first I found Lurch dead, then went on the search for a blue heeler puppy, but never found one. Came home and went to gather eggs only to find a rather large, about 6 ft long, Texas Rat Snake. Must not have been any rats around for its meal since it was busy eating an egg. I was not amused ! It slithered away but I could tell it was in a nasty mood from being disturbed. Thought I would call Emery to tell him about the latest visitor to the chicken coop only to find that the phone was not working which meant no Internet connection for me. It was turning out to be a day like "Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day".
But, to each and every dark cloud there is a silver lining, if you look for it.
I actually enjoyed the quiet of no phone and no computer beckoning me. I got some ironing done, did a few things that had been on my "to do" list for some time and then sat down to read for a while.
When Emery got home from work, he fixed the phones, made some changes around the hen house, buried poor Lurch next to Larry, went hunting for a rat snake, but didn't find it. I know some of you might be snake lovers, so want you to know we catch them and move them far from here.
Tomorrow will be better, well after the bad storms pass by that is. Hail and high winds are expected in the morning !

Comments

R. Aastrup said…
Oy vey, Patty! Sorry about your terrible, no good-but-quiet day! Sorry about the ducks...that's so sad. Glad, though, that you're blogging again. I was missing you =)
Jan said…
Oh Patty, I am so sorry about the ducks. I have hens and have had predators go inside and kill them and have a hard time finding how they go in.
I'm glad you are still blogging. Read you everyday!
Marcie said…
Aw, poor Lurch and Larry. Your writing reflects the steadiness of Patty though... I'm glad you didn't give up blogging. I love coming here to read about your days on your little farm. Sometimes Texas seems a world away from me (in the Great Lakes Region) but so often the daily struggles are the same whereever one lives. There is always wisdom here which can be applied to my own life. :)
Dana and Daisy said…
I bet the snake comes back for more eggs.

Snakes give me the willies! A 6 foot one would probably make me hyperventilate!

Sorry you had a perplexing day. Maybe today will be better!
mikesgirl said…
If I ever saw a 6 foot snake, I'd start running and wouldn't stop til I keeled over from sheer exhaustion! Sounds like you truly did have "one of those days" although you seemed to make the best of it by enjoying the quiet. I'm always happy when I turn on the computer and find a new post from you Patty! (even if it's about snakes!)
TJ said…
Praying today is a better day for you!

I have a question, Do you have any ideas for a humane way to move the mouse colony out of our shed? They are there because the dog can't get to them, and they aren't inside because then the cats would get them. Hubby says they have to go, but I won't use poison and don't want to kill them. I think they are awfully cute.

I hope you find a good farm dog soon! My co-worker just picked up a great one at our shelter. Too bad we are so far away.
Anonymous said…
Oy vey for sure. Best of luck on finding a wonderful blue heeler. Have you looked on petfinder.com? Some animal rescues will help get a dog to you if you're not nearby. Our shelter here will take info from families looking for a particular type of dog or cat as well.

Wish you could put up a video of Mei Ling saying "oy, vey!"
Anonymous said…
Could the ducks have been killed by the snake if they tried to fend him away?
Patty said…
TJ, some folks say sprinkling peppermint oil around will keep the tiny rodents away. Might be worth a try

Popular Posts