It's Hot In Texas










Texas heat arrived today. Its 86 degrees F at 6 p.m. with a heat index of 98 degrees. Its sticky hot. We are staying without air conditioning until June at least so the house is not much different than outside. Our small step in using less electricity. Clove cut herself pretty bad yesterday, tore a hunk of hide off somehow, so today we spent some time fixing her up. It didn't seem to bother her but it sure did me. It looked just like someone had skinned her in a 2 inch by 3 inch spot. She must have ripped it on something sharp but we can't seem to find what it could be. I am most concerned about infection, but hopefully we have that under control. Decided it was time to trim hooves while I had Emery out there to help me keep both Cinnamon and Clove still. By the time I finished I was soaked in sweat. The humidity is horrid today, my hair is just one mass of curls. A bit like a gray haired old Shirley Temple. I can't tell you how happy I was for a nice long tall glass of ice cold Meadow tea.
Kept thinking about President Bush's daughter getting married on such a steamy day. Crawford is just not that far from here, maybe 100 miles or so which means they are having the same kind of temperatures we have.
Tomorrow is mothers day and I know it will be a special day for me. It always is. I have children that love me as much as I love them. They are such blessings. Maybe my Mothers Day will not be the kind of day some mothers dream of since there will be no pampering massages or expensive meals at fancy restaurants, I wouldn't like that, it's just not me. I have always had breakfast in bed though on this day. Doesn't mean those pampering things are not wonderful for someone else, but just not for me. I am more on the practical side. I already know about a couple gifts Emery has bought me and boy oh boy am I excited. I will tell you about them tomorrow, since I really don't HAVE them yet.
Mr Rooster
Some sassy hens strutting around the yard
The Hollyhocks
Close up of the hollyhocks
I am certain they are saying, " Aren't we gorgeous ? "
Cinnamon with nice trimmed hooves
Clove, sporting her bright pink vet wrap bandage
The new kittens, I am in love with the gray one, but it Daddy is the meanest cat alive, part mountain lion in attitude. Even attacks people. It's a wild thing. I keep wondering about this babies gene pool !

Comments

Renie Burghardt said…
Hi Patty,

Love the pictures of your animals. That rooster is a handsome bird! And the goats are so cute. I hope Clove will be okay, and no infection sets in. The hollyhocks are lovely!

I enjoyed reading several of your posts just now. 86 degrees is too hot, indeed. We have been fairly cool in the Ozarks, but very rainy. All the rain means the grass is growing at an excessive speed, and giving us and the lawmmower quite a workout. But everything is so beautiful and green, that I don't mind it.

I have been blessed with wonderful children as well, and am being treated to dinner in a nice restaurant tomorrow! Have a wonderful Mother's Day, and thank you for visiting my blog.

Renie

PS. We Took To The Woods has been one of my favorite books as well!
bamboosprouts said…
The photo of Mr Rooster is especially beatufiful! I am so sad for the loss of your feathered friends lately and have so enjoyed the adventures of trying to catch the bad guys. :)
Bertie said…
Oh Patty, your Hollyhocks are gorgeous! I have such fond childhood memories of making little fairy dolls from Hollyhock blooms on my Grandmother's farm in Kansas. I wonder if they would grow here in New Hampshire?
Patty said…
Bertie,

Hollyocks are hardy north to New England and into Canada. They are comfortable as far south as the central Gulf States but can not handle the really hot regions of Florida and southern Texas (Zones 2 to 8). Choose a sunny site with well drained, rich soil, such as a border area in front of a wall. They prefer soil that is moderately acidic (pH 6.0 to 6.5).
Momzoo said…
You have Hollyhocks blooming!!! Wow, mine are only about 6 inches high, you must have a long growing season. Around here we have to wait until mid-May to plant the frost tender plants! I am going to be planting my garden this week, they are forcasting above freezing temps now.
QuiltingFitzy said…
Our temps here in AZ were 95+ but I sat out under the tree and hooked my wool rug, lol.."it's a dry heat!"

Just wanted to stop by and wish you "Happy Mother's Day" dear.

Hugs,
Fitzy
Bertie said…
Thanks for the planting tips Patty! Sounds like I have just the right spot for planting Hollyhocks and I can't wait to try it. Thanks too for all the beautiful photos. I've been visting your blog for several months now, and though I don't always agree with your thoughts I respect your opinions and look forward to reading your blog daily. HUGS, Bertie

Popular Posts