The Day Feels Like A Gift


The day feels like a gift. There is this familiarity of this moment in time, perhaps in the way the air feels, the way the house smells of cooking and baking. Maybe its the color of the sky outside my windows or the way the steady hum of the fan sounds. Maybe, just maybe it is the exact same ingredients of a day gone by and so the memory of that day comes to life again in my senses. It feels like a precious gift. All the memories of just an ordinary day of years past, when children's voices filled the house with their beauty and excitement. I can see so clearly them sitting at the table after breakfast, books spread out, school work being done while I bake and teach at the same time. Without all the same ingredients, these memories of such an ordinary day may have stayed buried in the multitude of times past.
I can't stop smiling, its just like being there in my minds eye. I wonder if I was making potato salad on that morning so long ago, and if the laundry stood in the basket by the door just the same as today, waiting for that free minute to hang them. I wonder if the bread was rising as it is now.
Memories are precious, even the ordinary moments in our lives. Maybe I will just sit a bit and enjoy the beauty of it all, no, there is still much to be done in the day and I have such a hard time being lazy !
Soon the plumber will be here to replace our hot water heater. Its not broken, but on its way to giving out. 20 years of service is a fair amount. The sink is full of hot soapy water on one side and clear hot water on the other, ready for the spoons and bowls I use for making cookies while the plumber does his work, with the water shut off.
Life is good even in the simplest of days.

Todays laundry drying in the sunshine, a very "green" way to dry clothes.

Comments

Andylynne said…
What a lovely post.
TJ said…
Ah fresh laundry on the line. I just purchased a parallel clothes dryer after losing my backyard to a dog that destroys everything. My grandma told me that was my Grandpa Willie's favorite smell and that she gave him a fresh pillowcase each night. Now whenever I smell air dried laundry I shall think of him.

Thanks for sharing! Does baking in the heat get to you? I try so hard not to bake on hot days, although eventually I have to.
Patty said…
tj,
I do all my baking before the heat of the day sets in. I try to be done by noon. We are trying to go as long as we can without air conditioning, but come the end of June, the unit will sit in the window and I will appreciate it.
We went for many years here in Texas without air, but it was so hard to sleep at night.

Popular Posts