First Light




As the sun poked out from the dark sky, transforming the colors of the morning moment by moment, I was out doing chores. There was ground fog this morning too, the kind that lays like fluffy frosting on the rich brown soil. The grass was wet and I was thankful to have my red wellies on, but they did not protect the hem of my long skirt from acting like a wick and soaking up the dampness all the way up to my knees. Somehow I didn't mind until I came in the house and kicked off my boots and felt the wet fabric hit my legs.
The chickens fed, the goats had their grain and some new hay to munch on while the barn cats ate their breakfast too. The garden had a bit of attention and some herbs picked for soup making this afternoon. Wood needed to be brought in and some kindling gathered. The same kinds of chores I do every single day. Bed made and breakfast cooked. Emery has his breakfast very early and I have mine after chores. I can enjoy it more that way. No rushed feeling. But we chat in passing, sharing thoughts and plans for the day. Today we looked up the little day book I kept while we were dating to see what we did 30 years ago today. I wrote every day just a sentence or so of what we did each day while we dated. We bring out the little book each year in September, which was when we had our first date and read each day until our anniversary in December. We dated a whole 10 weeks before we got married. Emery asked me to marry him 2 weeks after our first date. We just knew we were right for one another from the very beginning and we knew God was leading us together. It's quite miraculous how we got together, but that is another story !
I am ever so grateful for this life of mine....love all around me. Emery and our children and now grandchildren, whose tiny hands reach up for me to hold them, and whose kisses make us all smile. We have a peaceful life, even amid challenges, we all feel the wings of Gods compassion embrace us, cover us with His unending love.
We do joke quite often that if our life was to be made into some kind of television show, it would be boring, which we think is just fine ! No drama, just the way we like it.
We have much to be thankful for....

Comments

And I thought Paul and I were fast. We dated 5 weeks before becoming engaged and then we waited three months to marry because his brother was a priest in Germany and that was the soonest he could get here. But we too knew right away that we were meant for one another. We also felt we were "old" (yah, all of 27) and therefore wiser, which was something that made us laugh a lot later. But we valued the same things in life and our ambition was to have a happy family life. And we did. (I had a sister from our parish praying for me to find a good husband, and I always thought that helped too!) Finding your soulmate is one of the best things that can happen in life, Patty.

Popular Posts