Blessings of the day




A quiet Sunday. Starbucks with my gentle man. Hand holding and conversation where often times we don't even need words. After being married this long, you know so much about one another that sometimes it seems you can read each others mind, but really, its just that we know each other so well, we know how each other thinks. I love that.
Tonight I do a little sewing while Emery puts up a fence around the wood stove. Keeping our little grand-blessings safe. The stove is in a cage ! Its a nice looking cage though, wrought iron.
I check the progress and Emery steals a kiss.
I grow to love the ordinary more and more for it is extraordinary in reality, in a world where there is such chaos and uncertainty.

Herbs drying
Still under construction, but you can get the idea of how the safety fence will be around the wood stove.



Comments

Sadge said…
When my nephews were little and here to visit, we'd make a fence in front of the wood stove out of two ladder-back chairs laid on their sides. I like the photos of your herbs drying. I rubber-band mine - string can be too messy when the stems shrink, allowing the herbs to drop out. I use drapery hooks to hang them on a ledge the same as yours - poking the pointy part through the rubber bands and the hook part on the ledge.
Dana and Daisy said…
I have wondered what you do about that hot stove and toddlers in winter!
Patty said…
Hi Sadge, I have never had a problem with using string to dry my herbs with. I tie them very tightly. I have done this for about 25 years with good results. For the herbs with fine stems, I use quilting thread. With the wood stove as our only heat I suspect the rubber bands would dry out too quickly for us and I am a fan of natural cotton : )
Patty said…
Hi Dana,
We had friends put this type of fence around their stove years ago when their children were small and it worked so well, we thought it best to do the same for the babies
I dry my herbs all around my kitchen and dining areas...I use natural fibres (twine) and love the smells of them.

Do you have a big herb garden?

I love the wrought iron fence around the wood stove. :-)
Marci said…
I bet your room smells wonderful with those herbs drying!!!
JacquiG said…
I too was wondering about the little ones around your woodstove.

What do you do with the ashes from your woodstove? And how can you ever clean out the ashes when you use your stove every day?
Patty said…
Hi Jackie,
We don't clean out the ashes every day. If we have burned a lot of wood and the ash is building up, I just take a few "shovels full" and put them in the coal hod where they will cool off. We put the ashes in a deep pit, its probably 4 ft deep, then in spring we scatter some of the ash on the garden, checking the PH to make sure we don't put on too much.

Popular Posts