Recharged Batteries

I need my batteries recharged, the batteries that keep me going...the internal ones that keep me motivated, active, pushing myself to do what I need to do and want to do.
I need to go to the fitness center, need to, is the right phrase. But I also need to want to.
When you reach your 50's or there abouts you really have two choices in life, to decide you are getting old and therefore be old, or decide to make the most of these amazing years and work at staying fit and healthy. My mother in law decided she was old at 50 and she was. Sitting around growing older every single day. Doing less and less. She is very very old now at 80 and in a nursing home. I have an aunt that has decided to not let age rob her of her fun and she is amazing. Does water aerobics, walks the beach all the time, has a good social circle, keeps us with everyone on the computer and even plays computer games. The difference between the two women is monumental. It all steams from their attitude. My aunt is a few years younger than my mother in law, but not enough to make the vast differences in their life style.
Today I woke up feeling a bit worn out, moved furniture around yesterday, waxed all my floors, and then did all the other things that needed to be done. I woke up feeling like I just wanted to stay in bed, but right after I post this, I am forcing myself to get in the car and drive to the gym. I need to stay fit, I owe it to myself, to Emery, to the children and now to my grandchildren. I don't want to be the kind of Grannie that sits and knits all day long not out of choice but because I am old at 53. I am convinced that many people in this country have decided their fate health wise because of choices they have made in the lifestyle they chose or in just simply accepting they are getting older and EXPECT to do less. However, there is always the possibility of change. Most people that can walk around a store at my age can walk for health, no matter what their size, at least walk a little, and if they keep at it, they can walk a bit more each day, building strength, endurance and flooding the brain with those good endorphins that make depression and lethargy head for the hills.
So today, I may need to recharge my batteries a bit, do some self talk to motivate myself, but I am heading off for a work out and the side effect of working out is that you WANT to take care of yourself by eating better, making better choices in life about so many things and the pay off is way better than sitting around.
There my self talk for the day and it works, I am now heading out the door !

Comments

Yvonne said…
Good post and you are so right about that. Thanks for the pep talk. :)
Thanks for the inspiration! The cold weather comes and I'm starting to feel old. I want a nap. Instead I think I'll go to the gym, too.
Cathy said…
Good for you! As they say, "age is nothing but a number". I'm glad you are wanting to do something positive for yourself that will not only benefit you, but your whole family. Take care!
Patty said…
Hi Catherine, Thanks, it was good to get back to what was my "normal" schedule of working out. I do Tai Chi twice a week but have not been heading off to work out much beyond that.
Sunny said…
Oh pooh! 50's aint old. I like mama bird's definition of old age-30 years older than whatever age she happens to be when you ask her.(race you to the gym.)
Patty said…
Your sister has the right idea !
50 ain't old and my sister tells me 60 aint old and if you look at her, see how busy she is, you would be inclined to believe her
Rowan said…
At 53 you've barely got started:) I'm 61 now but feel and act around early 40s. Your aunt has the right idea, mental attitude makes a huge difference and so does staying active. I walk around 4 miles every day with my dog and tomorrow am off on an 8 mile walk on the moors.
Patty said…
Emery is 61 Rowan, and I tell you he is not much different than when we got married. Its all about attitude and not settling for getting old mentally or physically.
I feel like life is just starting. The 50's are indeed FANTASTIC, I suspect the 60's are Superior !
nancyr said…
My daughter's step-grandmother in-law moved to an assisted living facility in another state, at age 89, and hates it. She says everyone acts so "old" and they don't want to do anything! I don't think she will be living there much longer. Her best friend, before she moved, was 50, and they used to play golf and walk every day, weather permitting.
I think her nephew talked her into moving to his state and arranged the assisted living situation. She is very unhappy.
Nan said…
What a great, great, motivational posting! I love it. Good for you!

Popular Posts