"By Night When Others Slept Soundly"


I have been thinking about the faith of the early Puritans, a new land, a new life, hardships around every corner, the perfect setting for having ones faith tested, and to depend on God fully and completely or to curse Him for the hard things that they had to endure. Most chose the more noble way and faith increased. I heard it said not long ago in a sermon that in the midst of trials a Christian will pass the test of faithfulness 95 % of the time, but in the face of the test of prosperity, Christians fail that test 95 % of the time.
Anne Bradstreet and her husband Simon may have known the Lockwoods that also sailed to Massachusettes on Winthrops first fleet. I am once again looking at the very history of family while reading this poem. And I too feel the same as Anne Bradstreet did as she wrote these wonderful words.
Anne Bradstreet was born in 1612 to Thomas Dudley and raised in a prosperous, educated home. After marrying Simon Bradstreet, she sailed to New England on the Arbella, exchanging a life of relative comfort and culture for the wilderness of Cambridge. It would appear that she was converted in the midst of her new hardships of building a home, storing food, enduring sickness, and raising eight children. Her poetry is a combination of Sixteenth Century convention, her new-found faith, and her struggle for the survival of her family. She went to be with the Lord in 1672.
Here Follow Several Occasional Meditations
by Anne Bradstreet
1
By night when others soundly slept,
And had at once both case and rest,
My waking eyes were open kept
And so to lie I found it best.
2
I sought Him whom my soul did love,
With tears I sought Him earnestly;
He bowed His ear down from above.
In vain I did not seek or cry.
3
My hungry soul He filled with good,
He in His bottle put my tears,
My smarting wounds washed in His blood,
And banished thence my doubts and fears.
4
What to my Savior shall I give,
Who freely hath done this for me?
I'll serve Him here whilst I shall live
And love Him to eternity.

Comments

Tina Leigh said…
Patty where did the "Mom" song go? I have have been wanting to show Danny this all day. I had it pulled up earlier. Danny has always sang a song to my boys that had lyrics that sounded the same as that one so I was going to let him listen to it. I listened to it early this morning (about 3 a.m.) & died laughing! Too cute! Oh my grand came Oct the 5th. I'm in love with a pretty little 4 pound 11 oz bag of sugar! She's wonderful! Now I can really relate to you & your pretty babies! I'm a Me-Me!
Tina Leigh
R. Aastrup said…
Anne Bradstreet is a favorite of mine when I teach American Literature. She was an unusually well-educated woman who wrote a series of meditations for her son when he was getting ready to go off on his own that I always share with my students. Then, there's her beautiful love poem to her husband that rivals Elizabeth Barrett Browning's, in my opinion:
If ever two were one, then surely we.
If ever man were lov'd by wife, then thee.
If ever wife was happy in a man,
Compare with me, ye women, if you can.
I prize thy love more than whole Mines of gold
Or all the riches that the East doth hold.
My love is such that Rivers cannot quench,
Nor ought but love from thee give recompetence.
Thy love is such I can no way repay.
The heavens reward thee manifold, I pray.
Then while we live, in love let's so persever
That when we live no more, we may live ever.
Patty said…
Tina, I left you a note on your blog about the video clip...youtube slows down the loading time of the blog so I don't leave them up long when I post one. I left the link for it on your blog
Patty said…
I love Anne Bradstreet too Rondi, she is so in touch with her emotions and the feelings we all have from time to time and yet she reaches places with her words that feel untouched inside of us until with her words we can see our own heart
Tina Leigh said…
Patty I got it. Thanks! Danny loved it...that is so cute! He has always sang this ryhme about get up out of bed...wash your face & hands....something like that. Too cute. Tina Leigh

Popular Posts