It's Not Thursday, But We Had Pea Soup Anyway




It's our family tradition to have split pea soup on Thursday night. My great aunt who was Swedish used to send home pea soup with my mother when we went to visit my great grandmother, as they lived in the same house. I so well remember seeing a mason jar filled with the wonderful green soup. I wish I had her recipe, but the one we use is really good and very close to Aunt Ruth's recipe.
We use the recipe we long ago, (1980's) got at Andersen's Pea Soup Restaurant in California. The recipe card came with a bag of split peas that was purchased in their gift store. The recipe card is old looking now and somewhat of a family treasure.
With the cool damp air, pea soup and some nice artisan bread was the perfect meal !
click the photo of the recipe to see it large enough to read
To see more of the restaurant and read the history visit

Comments

When I saw this picture, I thought to myself is Anderson's a national chain somehow? And then I kept reading and saw that it IS the one in California. Glad you are still getting pleasure from the recipe. I could use some veggie split pea soup with these windy fall Oregon days. Hope you are well! Also enjoyed your posting on the rain!
Libby said…
Anderson's - now that is a memory *s* I grew up in a neighboring town about 17 miles from Anderson's. My dad thought the 'all-you-can-eat' pea soup on the menu was the best thing going. One of the last trips I had to visit my dad, we took a drive over for a bowl of pea soup.
Angela said…
Oh how good this soup looks to me! I will have to make a shopping run for the ingr. I like to add ham also. Just a bit. Thanks for reminding me of an old favorite.
La Tea Dah said…
I looks delicious, Patricia! I love pea soup!

No package yet --- hopefully you weren't able to get it sent last Monday, 'cause if you did, it means it's lost in the mail --- and that would be so sad. :(

I hope the rain stops for awhile and you get some warm autumn weather again.

:) LaTeaDah
Found your blog while visiting La Tea Dah this morning. Wonderful visting here!
Blessings to You!-Claudia O.
Aunt Jenny said…
The soup looks so good!! I LOVE pea soup!! I may have to make some this week!
I grew up about 45 min. from the Pea Soup Andersons restaurant and have eaten there quite a few times..fun place to go..I went there about 2 years ago on a trip out to visit relatives in Calif.
The bread is just beautiful..and tasty looking too!!
Have a wonderful week!
Cathy said…
I couldn't resist...I read this entry yesterday and decided that I simply must make some pea soup today. It was so delicious. Everyone went back for seconds!
Patty said…
Hi Catherine, glad you had pea soup and loved it !

Popular Posts