The First Fire of the Season


The first fire of the season is on a par with some kind of holiday....its special. Full of homespun comfort. Its fun and without the memory of waking in the middle of the night to put on another log so you won't freeze in the night. I wish there was a way to send the smell of the oak burning, or have you see the smoke drifting past the window as I type. The way the thin grayness sweeps down towards the ground in the wind and then magically billows up towards the gray sky where it blends in and disappears. The cycle of this never fails to amuse me. In the living room where the stove sits, warmth fights with the cold air as the windows are still open. The first fire after the stove has just been blackened isn't all that nice smelling in the house. So the windows being open seems to carry off the smell of the blackening burning off and the wonderful homey smell of the wood smoke finds its way into the house by the very same window that carries off the not so nice a smell. In a bit the blackening smell will be gone. Tis the way it is...
On one of my trips out to the woodshed for more logs, I took my camera with me. Trees loosing leaves quickly in this wild wind day. The air is swirling with leaves dancing their way down from the top branches. Frenzied fall day. The tea kettle will soon sit atop the stove and if it stays this chilly, soup will simmer there too. A pan of cornbread would be nice tonight.
I would not trade this simple life for anything. Season changes bring such joy. Bringing in the fire wood is healthy. Sitting in front of the fire, conversations lingering in the warmth. Tea kettle hissing and and pots simmering with goodness. Lamps lit, casting shadows that dance on the wall. A good book awaits me with another cup of tea.
On this very same trip outside, a sad thing. I found a kitten, lifeless and soaked, it had strayed from the warmth of the momma cats nest. Momma cat knew well what I could not face. She refused the kitten. So I took it, mumbling about what a bad mother cat she was. I rubbed its tiny cold body, it stirred. I warmed it by the fire, talked to it, prayed for it but it did not make it, momma cat did know. A sad moment in time. Farm life teaches you much about birth and death, and I suppose you get a bit used to it, but not so used to it that the sting of loosing an animal is ever gone.

Comments

Lib said…
There's just something about setting by a fire huh?
So sorry to hear about the kitten.YEs, Simple life teaches us so much Good and Bad.
The shawl is pretty, always nice to know "You're wrapped in Mama's Love" even tho they may have passed on. Both are nice post.
Hope you have agreat day.
Blessins',
Lib
Patty said…
Yup Lib, its just the nicest feeling, to be sitting by the fire. Right now I am cooking on the stove and its certainly toasty !
Marci said…
Something is wrong with this picture. My friend Pat in Texas is needing to light her fire, while I here in Ohio have not needed one yet. =)
Patty said…
Its a mixed up season Marci. My sisters back east are warm today too.
Carrie said…
Hello,
Thanks for stopping by the Oak Rise Cottage blog and leaving a comment for me. Goo to hear from someone in Texas. I lived, worked and studied there for over five years in the seventies.
Kimmie said…
Hi Patty;

I am so sorry for you loss of your kitten. How sad it is to hold a life that is so tender and ebbing away.

This week I held a chipmunk thats life was fading...I prayed over it and hoped that God would put his healing touch on the wee little body. It did not happen and I needed to walk him to the woods.

Your fireside sounds lovely, it made me wish I could come by and sit with you.

You have a wonderful way with words, truly captivating.

Be blessed, thank you for sharing your gift with me!

Kimmie
mama to 6
one homemade and 5 adopted
Mimi said…
Oh it sounds so cozy to see the fire and know that you are sitting close by with your book and tea... of course it is still hot where I am... but I can hope can't I ?

Popular Posts