Simple Things

I was just sitting at my desk, looking out the window while I answered some emails. The sun is shining in through the curtains, shadows and patterns catching my attention. A gentle breeze moving the light...so pretty, so simple. I am easy to please, at least my husband tells me that. I don't require fancy things or fancy clothes. Just about 29 years ago, Emery took me to a wonderful rather fancy Jewish Restaurant in Boston for a date. It was really a nice place and I know Emery was spending a lot of money on that date. I told him that it was a wonderful date but he never ever needed to take me to fancy places to impress me. I told him a walk in the woods, or a fish dinner by the ocean side was just fine for me. Its still the same today. I don't need fancy expensive things to make me feel good. I know love has very little to do with whats in the wallet, and I know that some of the best dates we have had in our 29 years together have been the ones that cost nothing...a walk after an ice storm, hand in hand....clearing the debris away from a favorite little water fall in a creek.....watching the sun set....sitting by the fire roasting marshmallows. Today, looking out the window, watching the curtain in the sun and shadows is a simple thing to be sure, but a joy all the same. I can see the leaf covered roof of the wood shop, hear the black walnuts dropping onto the tin roof and sounding like tiny bombs. Hear the squirrels calling a warning to who knows what...catch a whiff of the crisp fall scent of nature in the air....see the shadows on the curtain shrink and grow as the breeze blows. These things are priceless moments. Not boring, if you open your mind to the beauty of them. If you take a deep breath and exhale to that "oh so calm" feeling. Noticing the simple things, deciding what really counts in life, takes us to the place where we just don't need the fancy stuff.

Comments

Lib said…
Amen to all this post. I feel the same way. Love the pics. of your Precious Grandbaby!
Hope you have a great day.
Blessins',
Lib
When I count my blessings I have always counted the blessing of being easily made happy high on the list. It is a gift from God. We can increase it by paying attention, but I think it comes from Him to begin with. What a great gift.
Mimi said…
the gifts from God are the best Gifts of all and they are completely free!!
Cathy said…
I love this post! I am the same way...very easy to please. Some of life's greatest pleasures are found in the most simple things.

Popular Posts