More on "Fluffy Towels"

The Fluffy towel post brought out only two kinds of comments, the haves and the have- nots of Fluffy Towels. Much negativity came from the haves. In each post I received as comment or in an email or by posting on their own blog, there seemed some need to justify their reason for having the Fluffy little things. I was a bit surprised by that because my post was a response to the many questions I have received asking HOW and WHY we live like we do. I just was explaining our WHY and trying to shed some light on our personal belief system regarding "things". One reference was made to the fact that well God blessed them with the money to buy all this stuff, so they HAD to use it. I wondered if that meant the folks without the fluffy towels are less blessed by God...then I thought some more....well, we are considered upper middle class income wise, well blessed financially I would say. For us, blessed with money to use to help others. So even without fluffy towels on the shelf, we are still blessed financially. It is our choice to live this way, and to be honest I don't care one bit if your linen closet is full of fluffy towels. That is your choice. I have yet to go to anyones blog and write they are judgemental, less blessed, wrong about their choices or otherwise in the way they live. I plan on never doing that either. I do say what my thoughts are on subjects, because this blog is my thoughts. I want to write about more than the fluffy towels of life... about how to live gently on this earth, how to touch the lives of those in need. I write about my doubts, my concerns and yes, my confusion about how to live my life the best that I can. To write about more than the day to day cooking and cleaning but not to exclude those elements of my life.
I want to write about how for us there is a higher calling, the calling to not live our lives just for our own self centered pursuits, but to mix it up with the beauty of helping our loved ones, our neighbors, the mothers with babies in their arms starving to death. To support people like Dr Bob http://morningramble.blogspot.com/2006/12/dr-bob.html who is making a difference in the lives of so many people. He probably doesn't have fluffy towels at his house.
Long time readers know I think about legacies, and what matters in the end, it is what motivates me to act a certain way and live a certain way. An example....say I die tomorrow, at my funeral will my legacy be...."oh my her house was beautiful and her towels so fluffy, I heard she gave once to an orphanage" or would I rather hear...." she lived simply....and was motivated by these verses.....
For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me. Matthew 25: 35
That is my motivation....its not intended as a lecture here, or a sermon but simply a fact that I would rather buy medicine for a neighbor than have fluffy towels. If I still had money left over after buying the medicine, I would rather buy thanksgiving dinner for a family down the road than have the towels. Not for some great reward at the end or even to have nice words said at my funeral, that wasn't the point about a legacy... the legacy is for me to show my children an example that I can in good conscience feel is the higher road. I want to live simply so that I can by way of choice have more resources to end the suffering I see. If there was no God, no just reward sort of thing, I would still want to help others rather than fill my own house up with stuff. It seems the humane thing to do in my mind. Maybe I was called to live this way. I feel that way.
My mother was an amazing generous person, I learned well from her. Our house growing up was open to all. No one knocked at the door, they just came in as if it was there home too. Not sure how my mother did it but there was always enough food for everyone that stopped by unannounced. When she passed away, the city and its no small city, proclaimed a day of morning for her. People still talk about her kindnesses and she has been gone for over 2 decades. There never were fluffy towels in our house growing up.
Fluffy towels can of course be many things in our lives ! Even going out to eat : )
my most fluffy wal-mart towels !

Comments

Donna said…
Did you delete the orginal towel post?
Shellie said…
I have to agree so much with you here. Especially after moving back and forth in the last couple of years, I've found I'm much more mindful of what I buy. Is it a need or a want? Could I skip buying the wants and be just as happy using the money to help someone else out? Most of the time the answer is yes and the wants stay where they belong, on the store shelves. We've been so blessed financially in ways I couldn't have imagined 9 years ago when we were really struggling to make ends meet.

The Quran reminds us that everything we have is from God and we are to use what he's given us to help others as well as ourselves.
Kathy said…
I just want you to know how much I enjoy reading your blog daily and if you were my neighbor I would probably be on your doorstep each morning asking for a cup of coffee.
I just wanted to tell you about a man here in southern Kentucky, where I live, who is a race car driver. He is not originally from the county I live in but apparently enjoys hunting and fishing quite a lot which we have an abundance of here. He is in the process of building a million dollar, yes I said a million dollar hunting and fishing lodge that he will visit twice or three times a year. He is using some of the most biggest logs I have ever seen in building this home. Trees that are now lost forever.
When I think of all the people in this world who needs help and this man chooses to spend his money on a house he doesn't even plan to live in.
When I think about how many pediatric wards that could have used this kind of a donation, homeless shelters, soup kitchens, and homes that offer refuge for battered women, it really saddens me.
And on another note, I am so thankful your granddaughter is doing better. As much as you miss your beloved New England aren't you thankful your family was in Texas near this gifted doctor when your family needed him.
Thanks so much for the time you put into this wonderful blog.
Kathy in Kentucky
Marianna said…
Patty,

You challenge me...I like that. I'll admit I don't live by the same values you do, even though they are the ones I strive towards. Every post you make like this one and the original one gives me the nudge I need.

Marianna
Mrs.T said…
All I have to add is " Amen "

{{{hugs from TN}

Denise
Anonymous said…
Great thoughts on the issue. I appreciate your perspective. It always makes me stop and evaluate my reasons for the things I do - gets me to focus on the heart issues.
Joy McD said…
What is the quote? "Live simply so that others may simply live?" Another great post :)
Yes, fluffy towels come in many shapes or sizes, even in appliances for the kitchen, fabric for quilting.... etc, etc!
Could you please write about simplicity in the kitchen? Which appliances do you have? How do you simplify in this area of the house?

Love,

Joy

http://ajoyfulkeeper.com/my-blog/
Patty said…
Donna, it has never been deleted, its under the heading of Homesteading, Simple living, the hows and whys
Patty said…
Shellie, I looked up some references in the Quran before I even posted about charity and was so impressed with what I read. Such wisdom

Popular Posts