The Joy of Cast Iron Cookware


Since there were a couple comments about cast iron cookware, I thought I would share about how we have managed with our pans.
If you cook on an open fire and it gets really hot, you can have some black flaking even with the best of seasoning, but on the stove in the house, it should work out if you just take a few steps.
First off, you don't need to scrub hard when they are properly seasoned, they should clean easily, like a non stick surface sorta.
Never season a cast iron pot or pan with a liquid oil. It is said that bacon grease works the best, I cringe as I write that but its said to be the best, since we don't eat pork, there isn't any ever at our house, Lard would work the same. I used beef tallow on some pans but found good old Crisco works just as well. Warm the cast iron piece a bit first, then coat with the fat and put it in a 350 oven for an hour or so. I have forgotten a piece was seasoning and had it in there for about a couple hours without bad results.
For the first few times using it, cook something fried in it, helps to build up the seasoning and NEVER dry the pan with a dishcloth, always stick it on the stove over a flame and dry it. It just keeps it seasoned well. Some folks will just wipe a cast iron skillet with a paper towel and consider that its cleaned, I wash mine and have on occasion scrubbed it but then I sorta season it again. Unless a pan is properly seasoned, it will flake off some of the "seasoning" when scrapped with a cooking utensil or something. I am an advocate of good quality cast iron cooking pots and pans. None of the cheap stuff...it just doesn't season right for me. My favorite pieces are Wagners. Can't beat it. I have an 1891, and its just the best. There is one on ebay right now, going pretty cheap http://cgi.ebay.com/Wagners-1891-original-cast-iron-skillet_W0QQitemZ160164432209QQihZ006QQcategoryZ3631QQcmdZViewItem
I think I have had mine since I was first married. Got all my others early on in thrift stores.
I have a Jotul "cookie" iron that I use all the time but its not so easy to clean when the cookies stick a bit, here is a picture just after making cookies so you can see that it has to be scrubbed and seasoned a bit more each time I use it.
Good information on this web site about cast iron cooking http://whatscookingamerica.net/Information/CastIronPans.htm
If you are worried about being iron deficient, cook in cast iron, statistics show food cooked on cast iron has higher levels of iron, which makes sense. A study done in 1986 found that some foods more than doubled their iron content.
"Some examples from the study: The amount of iron in 100 grams (about 3 ounces) of apple sauce increased from 0.35 milligrams to 7.3 milligrams after being cooked in cast iron. The amount of iron in the same amount of spaghetti sauce increased from 0.6 milligrams to 5.7 milligrams.
Even eggs absorbed iron from the skillet. Scrambled eggs increased from 1.49 milligrams to 4.76; fried eggs increased from 1.92 milligrams to 3.48; and even poached eggs increased from 1.87 grams to 2.32 grams of iron after being cooked in the iron skillet.
But not all foods increased in iron content by that much. Fried potatoes, for example, almost doubled their iron content, but still contained less than a milligram of iron after cooking. And baked cornbread increased iron content only from 0.67 milligrams to 0.86 milligrams. "
Give cast iron another try if it didn't work well the first time you tried it. It really does improve with age !

Comments

Carrie J said…
I love my cast iron cookware. I have several pieces my grandmother got during the first few years after her marriage in 1922. She used them up until the early 90's when they became mine. They have seen a lot of use over the years.
I posted about them on a Frugal Friday post earlier this year. It beats anyother cookware I have used.
Christine said…
Well that explains my mistake number one, I did use regular cooking oil. That's what the label said to use but I guess that just doesn't work very well. I didn't really scrub too hard when I washed them but maybe I was cooking too hot.
Patty said…
Christine, it gets confussing at times when the manufactures give all kinds of ways to season cast iron, and some just don't have it right : )
Aunt Jenny said…
I love my cast iron too. Wagners are my total favorite. Alot of my cast iron was my grandmas..my mom didn't want it (can't imagine!!!)so I got it..hooray! My kids know to always look for old cast iron if they are out thrifting or garage saling..and oldest son is wonderful to get me big dutch ovens and that sort of thing.
I wash mine too..and coat with a little butter or grease after washing and drying over the stove burner until good and dry.
That cookie iron is way cool!!
Mrs.T said…
I LOVE my cast iron...
I'm not really sure what brand that I have but it has lasted a loooongggg time :)

I never put my in soapy water.. never..
I just scrub it out and oil it up..
If there's something that is sticking to the bottom .. put in on the stove with water and a little salt..boil it out.. stuff comes right off..
again oil ..

I have a little cast iron frying pan that I wouldn't give a million bucks for .. it belong to my
grandma.. and its as old as the hills.. :)

I've also got my mom's cast iron stuff after she passed away...
I love the "cornbread" cast iron..where you pour you cornbread batter in it and comes out looking like ear's of corn :)

My hubby hates cast iron..he's a teflon man.. which I HATE with a passion.. the stuff is not good for you..

Patty love looking at your kitchen!
Thank you for sharing !!
Mimi said…
I have only one... my cast Iron skillet... and I love it...
by the way you have such interesting topics on your blog...
thanks for taking the time to post!!
Cristan said…
Patty - I have a small cast iron skillet that was my grandmother's grandmother's (I'm 32 - I'm guessing it's from the turn of the century).
My grandmother said it was "for cornbread only" - but the 2 times I've tried to make cornbread in it, it's been a disaster. Do you think I should try to re-season? I'm almost afraid to use it!
Patty said…
Hi Cristan, I would try to re-season it and give it another try. Once it works out well, you will just love it. I bake my cornbread in my skillet most of the time and its soooo good.
Lib said…
I Love my cast iron.Most was handed down to me.
If something should stick, I pour water in and boil and it comes right out. Then season again. Cast iron is about all I use.
Blessins',
Lib
Unknown said…
Would you share your recipe for the Jotul Cookie Iron?
I have just purchased one (though mine is missing the ring base)
Kindly,
Debora
bora555@yahoo.com

Popular Posts