Peace in my corner of the world




We woke to temperatures in the 30's, with frost falling like a dusting of powdered sugar in some areas. The morning sun quickly melted the thin frost. How delightful the warmth of the wood stove felt so good. The peace of the morning flooded every corner of the house, wrapping me in a sort of shawl of contentment that goes far beyond what words can express.
I sat in front of the fire, enjoying the warmth, thinking about my children and grandchildren. What blessings in my life they are. Each child, grown into a good and kind adult. Loving, always wanting to share with us what is going on in their lives. Someone recently shared with me that their children did not want them to be friends with them on facebook, I felt sad for them. It says something about their relationship that left me feeling even more grateful. It may seem like a small thing, but it says a lot if your children don't want you to be a part of an aspect of their life.
There is dust on the shelf by the stove, I saw it plainly when the morning sun came through the window and pointed it out to me, but the dust can stay there a bit longer, this moment in time too precious to leave, its like good company, you don't want to shoo them off when you are enjoying them.
Instead I fold the laundry that is sitting on the love seat. I brought it in off the line around supper time last night and opted to spend the evening chatting with Emery and giving our conversation undivided attention. The laundry could wait and it did. Folding the stiff towels makes me smile. Much like a spa treatment to use them, dermabrasion of sorts. We don't use fabric softeners and to be honest, we are fine with scratchy towels from time to time.
As I sat on the floor folding our clothes, grateful for not being hung up on name brands or having to have everything brand new. After all, once you wear an item, its used, so why not save money for more important things and shop thrift stores for clothes, or make them yourself. I did that for years and never felt the least bit cheated out of anything because my clothes were hand made.
Living a life not caught up in the need to fit in or please helps bring peace into your corner of the world. Enjoy walking the road less travelled and make a point to avoid going round and round in circles, living to this drum beat one minute and another beat the next minute. Stay steady, pursue a journey on the one road that will take you where you need to be. Live your life with contentment.
My old pal Harry
The morning sky
A yellow rose
Eggs on the nest
Black walnuts

Comments

Teri said…
Yay!!!!!!!! I love your dog Harry, he has such a wonderful face. You made my morning.

I am one of my niece's "friends" on Facebook, but her mother (my sister) is not. I see the things my niece writes and sometimes wonder if I should alert my sister. Nothing horrible, but some things that make me sad. I can only hope that she shares these things with my sis in another way.
QuiltingFitzy said…
I heard a NPR podcast, an interview with Maria Von Trapp. It was from the "This I Believe Series". She spoke of being like a child and staying in the moment, therefore casting all your worries aside.

Can't tell you how many times this week, I've thought of this one interview and reminded myself to stay in the here and now. Focusing on what I was doing, instead of "what comes next".

Normally a total worrier, this piece brought lots of serenity, and I'd thought I'd share it with you.

Popular Posts