A Repost....An Experiment

The response to my post today brought with it feedback that surprised me. I have received SOOOOOO many private emails regarding this post and the aspect of Christians gossiping about other Christians in an ugly way, a way that destroys, hurts and reminds me of the say, "Christians are the only people that shoot their wounded." All this has prompted me to re-post something I wrote last year after doing an experiment. This past Thursday I did an experiment. A simple thing, just wearing a t shirt. Black shirt, white letters, no picture. It reads, WWBD on the top line and under that it says, "What Would Buddha Do ? " Simple enough to understand. Checking my actions against the teachings of Buddha. Same concept as WWJD that was so marketable a few years ago.What transpired by wearing this shirt left me speechless.I kept thinking about the words of Christ written in Red and how he said we should treat people, including enemies. I believe the word he used was LOVE.In my experiment, I didn't want to be an enemy to people but just represent someone with a different approach to life and see what would happen.To be honest I was shocked, left in a state of amazement, and not the good kind. Those around me, knowing what I was doing, were even more shocked. Here is how the day went. In Tai Chi class, a woman in her 60's, daughter of a pastor, who just weeks before had a conversation with me and another gal while we all worked out on the Pre-core machines together. This woman talked all about how she never judges anyone and how she is so tolerant and went on and on how she knows how bad it feels to be judged. The discussion came from that fact that the other woman, raised Buddhist in an Asian country but is now Christian, was sharing about her child that attends an SDA church here in town and is fighting the prejudice of not being SDA and attending their school. Well this "non judgmental" lady, read the shirt I had on and laughed and snickered like a 10 year old the entire Tai Chi class, pointing at my shirt, making jokes about what the teacher was saying about Chi and on and on all the while pointing to my shirt. This same "non-judgmental" woman, threw any degree of composure aside and had really lost her self in the moment and acted like a silly child, but like the story of some children watching another child stone its own bird, they all soon joined in, even if they knew it was wrong.Walking through the gym, the glares were laced with daggers. Where was the love of Christ ? Where was the kind word that may have reached out to my heart if they thought I was really in need of being saved or something ?One of the trainers came up to me and said, " you are indeed a brave person" she knew what I was doing, just because she knows me well. She was training a pastor when I first walked in and she said the venom spilled out of his mouth in rapid fire succession regarding me and not just my shirt, although he knew nothing about me. He showed no desire to reach out to me. You would think that if a person felt so strongly that they have the only truth, they would want to convert me, but instead, I was in their mind, "hung without a trial". I suspect there are lots of folks that are not Christian, experience this type of behavior. Later, a man confronted me in the health food store and came so close to me that I was sure he was going to scream in my face. He "demanded" to know what my shirt meant. People around, stepped back. Uncomfortable at his rage.To be certain I was not just imagining these reactions, I wore the shirt all day long, even when I went out to eat with Emery, Casi and Melanie. They saw it too. One man, a few booths over, glared at me with contempt beyond words, in an instant I felt threatened. I looked back at him squarely, but he reeked of anger, the kind that would burn a cross on a front lawn. I said a prayer for him.One sweet young woman, maybe 30 years old, came to our table, very timid, you knew it took everything she had to walk over to our table and handed me a small tract about Christ. She said, something about "Jesus told her to give this to me." I thanked her and smiled. Out of the entire day, one person shared the message of Christ with me, the rest and there were many many more than I have recounted here, they all were so hate filled, born of fear or something, they all condemned me before ever saying a word.There is a lesson in this for anyone who is filled with hatred. Its ugly and its not Christ like. I wasn't even an enemy, but no one thought to ask. You see, love should dwell in our hearts at all times. Fear driven hate is of the worst kind. You just need to look back through history at all the wars fought in the name of religion to see that. People burned at the stake, fields filled with dead bodies in the crusades, books burned, concentration camps with ovens and all from fear and ignorance and certainly no Christ like love in the hearts, only some pretense of righteousness. We just don't seem to learn.My t- shirt experience taught me so much. It was certainly an unpleasant experience for me to be so scorned, and just once touched with the love Christians should hold in their hearts, but it reminded me too, of why so many Christians leave churches, this hatred I felt is not reserved for unbelievers only. Just do something or say something not to their liking and suddenly you are "evil". Evil comes from hatred. Hatred is born of fear. By the way..... WWBD anyway, in a situation like I experienced ?
" Hatred did not ever cease in this world by hating, but by love; this is an eternal truth... Overcome anger by love, Overcome evil by good. overcome the miser by giving, overcome the liar by truth." ~Buddha~
and perhaps this one too,
"Consider others as yourself."
~Buddha~
If those two quotes sound a bit familiar, it may be because Jesus said much the same thing, many years after Buddha walked the earth.
"Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who abuse you. From anyone who takes away your coat do not withhold even your shirt. Give to everyone who begs from you; and if anyone takes away your goods, do not ask for them again."

~Jesus~
and this one too....
" Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."

~Jesus~

http://morningramble.blogspot.com/2007/02/experiment.html

Comments

Momzoo said…
very, very powerful.

You are what I needed today.

Thank you.
Anonymous said…
Where I live I don't think your shirt would have raised an eyebrow, and might have even drawn a few thumbs-up.

I think I've shared my own philosophy with you before: one God, many paths to reach Him, and wisdom enough for all. Thank you as always for a thought-provoking post.
Mary said…
I am embarassed by the reactions you received while wearing your wwbd shirt. I had an occasion to sit in high end department store in the chicago suburbs. I was struck by the difference in service to the overweight or ill dressed clients. Where is this society going and when will it end.
Renee said…
Very moving post. Thank you.
Dana and Daisy said…
WOW! Okay I need to email you my story
Cat said…
Both posts were excellent. I've had bad experiences with supposed fellow Christians both in the past and very recently...makes me strive to be more loving towards others. Oddly enough, my recent bad experience was because I was doing just that.
I`m Sassy, said…
All I can say is, i have never met a self proclaimed *Christian*, or, *Reborn Christian* who did`nt think they where better than us avererage run of the mill christians.
GreenishLady said…
There are all kinds of Christians in the world, and it seems that where you live, there are a lot who are very fearful of what's different. Your experiment was so interesting, and I love the question, because I think the answer would be the same whether we ask it about Jesus or Buddha (or any of the founders of the Great Religions, for that matter.)

I've been absent for a while, and have come back after travelling, and the loss of my mother. Reading back over some of your blog today has been very grounding and good for me. Thank you.
2 LMZ FARMS said…
Sounds like you might live in the same town that I do. The people here in my hometown thinks that if one isn't Baptist, goes to the big churches here, then they are going to hell. Yet, these are the same ones, who are talking about people, snubbing their noses at them, running around on their spouses,(preachers included), hmmmm......wonder why I don't attend their churches. Thank you for the post. Hope you and yours have a blessed day.
Dulce Domum said…
Wow Patty, I'm truly amazed by the reaction your t-shirt caused amongst your neighbours. I live in a very multicultural and multi-faith area so your t-shirt would never have raised an eyebrow. I would say this, intolerance and hate are everywhere, and you can find it in all religious communities, liberal communities, conservative communities, poor and wealthy communities. Oh, and intolerance and hate are like the flu, people pass in on to one and another incredibly quickly. It spreads and it takes a brave person to stand up and say "no, this isn't right". Perhaps that's why nobody stood up for you in your ti chi class...fear of others' rejection and hatred is a strong emotion.
The dB family said…
Hi Patty!

I still haven't had time to catch up on your blog. Between arriving home from vacation and beginning schooling with the children again, I have very little free time. I did a quick scroll trying to find your post on the book about, the "Law of Attraction". I think it was your blog? We picked up the book Money, and the Law of Attraction by Esther and Jerry Hicks. I'm just wondering if it is the right one? I remeber I found the post very intriguing.
You can leave a comment back at my blog.

Thanks!
Deborah

Popular Posts