Homestead Life

Today, Emery and I headed off to breakfast and visited a couple of stores. Even walked in the mall, the first time in a long time for me and probably the last time Emery was in a mall was in the the 1990's. We are just not mall shoppers ! I did have a specific item to get today and we were in and out of there in about 30 minutes.
I dressed up to go out today, but to be honest I couldn't wait to get home and get into my comfortable clothes. Its just more the real me to be in mud boots and choring clothes. Its just more the real me to not style my hair or put on make-up, even though I look better when I am a bit more fixed up. It felt good to get out back and feed and hay the goats, work in the garden, pick tomatoes and check on the cantaloupes. It felt more like the real me to stand outside watering the flower beds and watching the fingernail moon rise in the evening sky. I like dressing up once in a while but not as a steady diet. I am just a homestead girl, that likes her wood heat, home made bread, clothes on the line, flapping in the morning breeze. Fingernails with garden earth under them and hay stuck to my shirt. Being content with what I have rather than always finding new things to want. I like my simple little home and my great thrift store finds. I am happy being what I have always been. I know folks expect us to live differently than we do because we live much below our means, but we are simply simple folk !
I enjoyed my date today, but Emery and I were both so happy to be home on the homestead after a long day of being in the city.

Comments

Niki said…
Pretty much sums up my feelings exactly, especially about mall shopping. I like to be just me, comfortable and content at home.
mikesgirl said…
Patty I'm so happy that you posted what you did today! I am exactly the same way and I always feel kind of "guilty" or something for being more comfortable and myself in my homestead clothes and atmosphere. As long as DH is ok with it, I should be too, right? I always feel a little bit "phony" when I'm dressed up and out of my element.
Aunt Jenny said…
I feel the same way too...I am just not comfortable "dressed up" and I havn't been inside a mall in years..I will do just about anything to avoid it.
Give me a skirt and tee shirt and apron and my crocs or birks and my hair in a long braid and I am a happy camper. I would sure rather spend time in the garden or with my milk cow Mona than with the crowds in malls or in the city. Arn't we lucky to have the option!??

Popular Posts