Saturday Morning















Last night the air was heavy with moisture, so much so that it never seemed to get very dark last night. It was as if every light was magnified by the dampness in the air.
After struggling with my blog, ( I had added a counter and it messed some formatting up) at 2 am I gave up and just set a new background and decided to head to bed.
When all the lights were turned off, the outside seemed strangely light. I could see the branches in the trees so clearly out my window. Until my eyes grew so heavy that I could not keep them open another second, I had just laid there, looking out at the night.
This morning, bright and early before the sun had arrived, our sweet little Fergus was barking like crazy. I was up and out the door in my nightgown checking to see what had so upset him. I imagined there must be a coyote or something on the other side of the fence to make him bark so. But no, it was a plastic bag stuck in a tree. He was evidently unsure of just what this thing was that was moving on "his" fence and making a strange rustling sound. I removed the "intruder bag" and headed back in the house, hoping to catch a couple more hours sleep on this Saturday morning. Instead, I set the cafe table in our living room for breakfast for my husband and I. A quiet time before he heads off to work this morning. We like this little table in the living room. Its small and cozy. We often have afternoon tea there, or a light evening meal when its just the two of us. Its just something different than the dinning room table or the kitchen table where breakfast is normally eaten. We had our orange juice in wine glasses, and ate our cheese and croissants on little pink plates. Our yogurt served in pink glass sherbet cups. Since it was still not fully light, we lit a candle to make it feel a bit more romantic.
My dear husband has since headed out the door, work today on a Saturday. He will be at the Garden show, showing off the company's mini barns there.
I am off to plant some herbs in the garden and check out our little vineyard. I have a picture of St Lorenzo hanging in my kitchen, patron saint of cooks and vineyards. I hope he looks tenderly on our grapes this year. For a long time I have wished for a statue of St Lorenzo (Lawrence for the English speaking folks) but he is not real popular in the states and never can find him. There is one up for auction on eBay right now, lovely hand carved from Italy, but the price is out of my range, so instead I must settle for a picture of the statue.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Saint-St-Lorenzo-wood-carved-Figurine-Demetz-8_W0QQitemZ6256065418QQcategoryZ13771QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Maybe some day I can afford a proper statue
Today might just be that day to sew some more on my sister Sandy's quilt, its just about all pieced now.
First though I need some coffee to get me going. I just don't do well on 4 hours sleep.

Comments

Granny said…
Your little breakfast setting looks so pretty! It's funny that the bag caught Fergus' attention. Many years ago, we had a springer spaniel and one night she started barking and I could tell it was not a friendly bark. My husband was out of town so I tried to peep out the window and see what was wrong. Finally got up the nerve to go out and she had cornered a crawfish on the back porch!

Judy L.
Finn said…
Patty, the setting for your candle light breakfast looks so lovely. I can just imagine that everything tasted better in such a lovely setting. Sorry about the formatting troubles...I'm no good at that stuff at all, so my blog stays just as I crated it..LOL. I did manage to add the weather pixie, but haven't risked screwing things up by changing colors or anything like that. Hope it gets better soon. I did scroll down and see that your side bar stuff dropped clean down to the bottom...oppppps! Hugs, Finn

Popular Posts