Shepherds Purse



This has been one of the handiest plants to have growing on our land. The tiny heart shaped leaves when crushed, stop bleeding from a wound. We have used it often on our farm animals and from the time my children were quite young, they knew to apply some crushed leaves to any scrapes or cuts they got while playing. It is said the plant got its name from being carried in every shepherds purse to stop bleeding when one of his sheep was wounded.
It can be made into a tincture and taken in small amounts. I just love the little delicate plant and there are areas of my land that I refuse to let be mowed until I have gathered all I need and that it has had a chance to go to seed. There are other medicinal uses for this plant as well.

Comments

Alena said…
Oh yes, I know this herb... It grows in the meadows in Bohemia as well, I never tried to use it for wounds though - now I know...
It is called kokoška pastuši tobolka in Czech - (sheperd's purse)literally
Anonymous said…
I've never heard of this or seen it before - the leaves are such a lovely shape. It's a pity most of us don't have the knowledge of using herbs for healing. I have so much I want to learn :-)
Christine said…
You had mentioned Shepherds Purse in an earlier post, and not a few days afterwards I found some at my neighbors!! It is a beautiful and delicate plant!

I haven't found any on my place yet though! :(

Popular Posts