3rd Generation Frappe Iced Greek Coffee Drinker



In the warmth of this spring like day, I decided to have one of my favorite treats. Iced Coffee, but not just any kind of iced coffee. I wanted a proper glass of Greek Frappe. My grandfather made this drink every summer. He was an amazing man. Brilliant, yet certainly his own person. He lived with my family until his death when I was 4 but I still remember him. My mother was also a brilliant woman and a profound example of grace, class and kindness. She too loved this iced coffee. I started to drink "coffee" as a small child of 4 years in my mothers friend Mary's kitchen. In small espresso cups, more milk than coffee, but still coffee to me. As I grew so didn't the percentage of coffee to milk.
By the time I was 15 I was enjoying Iced coffee made the Greek way, each summer. Today I made myself some, and enjoyed each sip, remembering my grandfather and my mother. I am blessed to have so many memories filled with immense love.

pictures are... my grandfather Ronald at his typewriter

my grandfather with my mother, Irene
and last but not least, a nice tall glass of Frappe- Iced Greek Coffee

Frappe - Iced Greek Coffee
The Frappe is a way of life in Greece. It is a wonderful way to drink coffee. A wonderful drink even when not in Greece - simple to make and a great pick-me-up.

1 1/2 tsp instant coffee (Nescafe is the most popular brand)
1 1/2 cups cold water
Sugar to taste
Milk
Ice
Shaker or Blender In a Frappe container, cocktail shaker or blender mix together
2 Tbs water,
2-3 ice cubes, coffee and sugar to taste:
sketo – not sweet = no sugar.
metrio – medium sweet = two teaspoons sugar
gliko – sweet = three teaspoons sugar
Shake contents for about 30 seconds or blend for about 10 seconds.
The result should be simply foam.
Pour into tall glass half way filled with ice.
Add remaining water and milk to taste (some drink Frappe without milk).
Put in a straw.This recipe makes enough for one serving.

Note - many believe that the European Nescafe tastes better than the US variety. Try experimenting with other brands if the result is not to your liking. Some Greek and International stores do carry the European Nescafe if you are a purist.

Comments

Pam said…
This sounds good! I'll be using this recipe very soon!
Alena said…
I am frappe addict during the summer time as well, it is so refreshing and still you have a coffee...

Popular Posts