From This to This !


From this to this,

The sound of the woodstove door being opened woke me up, its an unmistakable heavy iron squeaking sound.
My husband was up building a fire to warm up the house. The rain and cold has made the house feel damp and chilly.
I heard newspaper crumple and a match struck. Wood being loaded into the stove. Sounds so familiar that I could visualize exactly what is going on. I warmed up just thinking of this sweet man of mine sitting on the floor with his heavy coat on, warming the house for us.
It got me to thinking about our life in the past few weeks.
No matter what changes we have made in our clothing or what music we listen to, we are still simple living people. Gathering our eggs each day, working the soil in our garden. Planting seeds that will turn into food for the family this summer. Spinning wool into yarn, making soap and baking bread.
Still using a wind generated, solar clothes dryer, i.e...the clothes line. Not a lot of gadgets in the house, no dishwasher, no cell phone, and lots of kerosene lamps.
Funny thing is, once you take away the cape dresses, head covering and plain clothing, we appear to be old hippies. The same things done in the appearance of being Mennonite and looking quaint, and objects of interest, changed into being hippy like. The same simple living suddenly has become perceived as social issues.
We are now like the poster children for the "Mother Earth" set. I am not complaining, please don't take it that way, or making judgement on how we are percieved, its more that it is amusing to me and a turn of events I hadn't expected.
We are comfortable with our life, this simple life. Our clothing has changed, the restrictive life lessened but we are still seeking the same calm in a hectic world. Like so many of us out in the world.
We are now more like the "Sunshine Family" and that suits us just fine !

mennonite dolls available at http://www.prayercoverings.com/catalog.php?category=9

Comments

Sunny said…
There could be many worse things than being mistaken for aging hippies.
Unknown said…
I enjoy reading how your life is evolving just as mine is. We are very lucky to have good men who love us and care for us as we do them..I miss not having children of our own but I love hearing and reading about others...Hugs Tina in a very cold and damp Missouri
Unknown said…
I got a good chuckle out of this - my sister-in-law has fond memories of her Sunshine Family, up until the point my husband dismembered them (which he emphatically denies). Most of my family lives in Kansas, and I remember being very intrigued by the Menonite families I would sometimes see. And just right outside our little city of Ithaca, we have a large Amish population. There is something about the Amish and Mennonites that is so . . . slow. How I would love to be able to slow down and take a deep breath for once.

Popular Posts