Pretties for Babies


It was just a couple days ago that I wrote a bit about my sorrow that babies are not dressed pretty much these days.
As I was thumbing through some pictures today I saw this picture of my daughter Melissa the day she came home from the hospital.
I lovingly made her outfit, each stitch filled with anticpation and love. I wanted to share the picture.

A crochet cotton sweater and bonnet (she was a summer baby) and a hand made nightie, all embroidered down the front opening with dainty flowers. Tied with satin ribbons. Booties to match. Flannel blanket, edged with crochet lace to match the sweater and bonnet. I remember what fun I had making this for my baby and how I would take it out and look at it while we were waiting for her arrival.
We were poor as church mice, but still I found a way to make "pretties" for our baby.

Each child has their own coming home outfits carefully packed away and ready for the next generation.

Comments

Alena said…
Lovely baby outfit...
La Tea Dah said…
What fun it was to prepare for our babies with thread and needle. My sons also had similiar outfits ready for their arrival. How disappointed I was that they arrived so large that their little outfits would not fit! One son was 9.5 lbs. and the other 10. I did get the outfits on for a photo, though, but I am sure they weren't comfortable and I couldn't close the buttons and hooks! What memories!
I made my first quilt while waiting for my Sarah's arrival...I thought she'd never come. I don't know how many times I refolded her diapers and clothes while waiting...and now all of a sudden she's a 20 yr old University student! How did that happen? I loved dressing her in pretty little dresses and knitted/crotched sweaters and bonnets and all the trim! I'm really missing having babies in my life these days....
Wendy
Linda (Petey) said…
What a precious bundle!
Our daughter came after a 9 year wait. We adopted her and it was a long road. I was knitting a blanket for our baby as we waited and went through all the testing and trials. I would put it away when discouraged and get it out when hopeful. When we first heard about our baby, she was almost 2 mo. old and we had 3 days to get ready for her. So much excitement, I stayed up many hours straight. One thing I worked on was the knitted blanket. It was smaller than I planned at first, but we wrapped her in it proudly and brought her home 28 years ago on June 2nd.
Now we have a 3-year old grandson and I made him a special outfit to be baptised in...life is wonderful and God is good!
Kelli said…
Just precious!!! Both baby and outfit. :0)
Finn said…
Absolutely beautiful Patty, and you know, I can't imagine that there would any other way for you to have approached this miracle. You are an inspiring person to know, I pray that God continues to bless you richly and provide a peaceful path for your feet. Hugs, Finn

Popular Posts