Records Broken

 Yesterday, we broke two weather related records here in North Texas.  The high for the day was 107, and the previous record for that day had been 100.  The second record broken was we have now had 70 days this season of temps at or above 100 F.   Our normal amount of days at or above 100 is 16.   We have also broken all previous drought records for the state.   These are not the kind of records any of us wants to see broken.  Yet, still, I am hopeful for the coming of the season of falling leaves, Indian corn hanging on the front door, pumpkins arranged on bales of hay and the smell of apple cider donuts cooking in the kitchen.   
This week I was looking up photos of Tasha Tudor and found one of her with a wonderful red shawl around her tiny shoulders, she is standing at the stove, cooking.   It evoked in me a great feeling, something akin to having a hero.  I so wish to have a life like hers in my elder years.  Strolling gardens dressed just in the way she did.  A bit of that person lost in time.   Not caring that the world outside my fence is running at a pace I don't desire to keep up with.   From that photo I stumbled about a link with the pattern for that very shawl.  I didn't have any red wool on hand, so for now I am working with a green variegated wool I had found on sale recently.  A trial shawl perhaps.   Its easy work, the kind you can work on while dreaming the time away.   The air conditioner is keeping the house cool, clouds are filling up the sky, balsam incense are burning, filling the room with that wood stove sort of smell, mixed in with memories of long hikes in the Maine woods where balsam grows so freely, scenting the air.   Candle burning, one made by my own hand, 100% beeswax, not for light so much as for taking back to a time when candles burned brightly when the days were shortened as cold weather appeared.   Coffee in my mug, knitting needles getting acquainted with the yarn and the pattern.   Silence except for my heartbeat.   Perhaps, a bit of a day like Tasha Tudor so often experienced.

Comments

I deeply admire Tasha Tudor's art and lifestyle, but she wasn't a woman able to be on good terms with all her children or help them to be on good terms with one another, unfortunately. I think you have done much better, here.
Debby Riddle said…
I too have been a long time fan of Tasha Tudor.I would love a pattern for her shawl if you don't mind sharing.
Patty said…
just click the link titled Truly Tasha's Shawl and you will be taken to the site with the pattern.
Patty said…
Hi Kristi, don't know much about her personal life but sounds like I will just like lifestyle and be happy with my own life : )
cheryl said…
Sadly I read the same about Tasha Tudor , she was known for being ruthless , uncaring and self absorbed forcing her children to live a lifestyle because she wanted to live that way and ignoring their wishes and dreams . Sad .
Patty said…
that is very sad Cheryl
Debby Riddle said…
very often I find inspiration and a glimmer of light from another person who has been publicly admired.I only know Tasha from her illustrations and books,as they were part of my wholesome East coast childhood.I limit myself to how much I imitate depending on how my values line up with the others.I certainly admire her spunk and determination when I she illustrated stories and lived an old fashioned existence as a means of providing for her growing family.I think that shows a lot of spirit and though she wasn't a perfect mother,she invested a great deal in her children and gave them some wonderful skills.

Popular Posts