Monday Morning Ramble

While it is still officially morning for me, I thought I would share a bit of my day.  Rounds of golden light mixing with the shadows from the leaves are dancing on the table next to me, its hard to concentrate on writing when such a magnificent show is right next to me.  Light and shadows, something one misses when the curtains are drawn at the window.  The house is filled with the smells of falafels and tabouli for our lunch today...felafel's always take me back to a favorite falafel vendor in a small town in Israel.  Right near the bank, on the sidewalk, a small stand but a busy one.    Garden planted, fingernails prove it.  My hands are the hands of a woman that works hard.  Dishes washed in the sink, no dishwasher here.  Bread kneaded by hand, no bread machine here.   I know how to plow with our cultivator, hoe by the hour and birth animals that need help.   I can haul a bale of hay and lift feed sacks without a struggle, but I also know how to smooth a babies hair and cool a fevered brow.   Recently when Melanie was so sick in the hospital, headache so bad that morphine hardly touched it, she said, "mom, will you rub my temples like you used to do when I was a little girl when I could not sleep." and I did.  Mother always, no matter the age.   I love my life, it is filled with loving work, joyful work.  Gibran has so aptly described work as "love made visible."  How true it is.  We should see our daily tasks as our love poured forth from our hands to make the lives of those we love better.   There is no doldrums in a seemingly menial job if we realize that it is a manifestation of our full hearts wanting to make life orderly and softer for those near and dear to us.   No meal is a dull task when we think of all that is says to our children and our loved ones.  It may not even be appreciated, but that's not why we work for our family, we work to nourish the souls, bodies and minds of those we love.   Christ sought no praise for His work.  His work was His love made visible to us.  Oh to have the mind of Christ in all we do and say !  

weekend breakfast of Amish Fried Cornmeal with Tomato Gravy

Comments

Popular Posts