It's Officially Autumn








It's officially Autumn !
This year, more than any other year of living in Texas, we were anxious for fall to arrive.  The brutal heat of summer is now behind us.  The drought however is still with us.  Our prayers daily are for rain.
Last evening after work, Emery tilled the back garden, we will plant a few things, collard greens, cabbage, lettuce and perhaps some broccoli and kale.   It was hard on us this year not having a harvest from our garden.   Made me appreciate that we can go to the grocery store and buy what we need.  All summer I thought about the early settlers and how devastating a year like this would have been to them.
This is a wonderful time of year.  Last night we went to bed with windows open, fans on and by 3 am Emery was up, putting a quilt on our bed.  It was in the 50's !    I love the smell of the air when the cold fronts blow through.  So clean smelling, so fresh.  As I was baking yesterday, the kitchen was hot and then a cold front blew in from the north and cooled the kitchen in a matter of minutes.   A blessing, a real blessing.   Life is good.  Abundantly so.

Comments

Lana said…
We are Texans and this "exceptional" drought has indeed been brutal. Our backyard garden has suffered and we nearly lost a chicken to heat stroke...it was a close call. I'll be so thankful to have cool air this year! I can't wait!

Lana
www.FarmLifeLessons.blogspot.com
Tina Leigh said…
It has been so hot here to but for the first time in years we haven't had to run our irrigation every day. Our pond has been full all summer. I guess we haven't had this much rain since 1998. Isn't that crazy. I know y'all have been suffering in Texas. I pray there is a break soon.

Popular Posts