Our Sunday Hike












This is a hike Emery and I have taken many times, although we often take different trails.  Yesterday we made it an extra long hike.  7 miles.    Much of the trail is considered "rough" and not for those wishing a nice smooth easy trail.   However, part of the trail we took yesterday was also a mountain biking trail and that seemed pretty easy.   The morning started out cool but quickly warmed up to nearly 100 and that made this hike less enjoyable, especially since we didn't pack in enough water for that temperature and somewhere around mile 6 I was just too hot and too thirsty so my amazing husband ran a mile ahead to where we knew was some drinkable water, filled our water bottles and ran back to me.  The man is a saint.  He ended up hiking 9 miles !  At the end of our hike we stopped at an empty campsite, soaked ourselves with water, sat at the picnic table only to be visited by a doe and her fawn.   The doe was so thin and so hungry, I shared some organic oat cereal I had with me.  She was very happy.   Just a ways down from the fawn I saw my first live armadillo crossing a path.  I have seen lots of road kill armadillos in my 20 years of living in Texas, but this was my first live one.   The drought has been so hard on Texas wildlife.  We saw 4 lizards and two grasshoppers the entire hike.  Nothing else, no birds chirping in the trees, no bugs buzzing.  It was our first time ever seeing the entire river dry.  We saw two stagnate watering holes and that was it.   In July 2007 we have photos of people kayaking the river with class 2 rapids.   How different one year can be from another.    The dried up river bed did make it easy to see all the dinosaur tracks though.      Memories made.

Comments

aimee said…
I love your heart cloud photo! Hope you get some rain soon--for your sake and for the animals.
Blessings,
Aimee

Popular Posts