The Long Winter


It sure feels like a long winter here in North Texas.  I have never seen as much snow as we have had this season and its been colder than normal.  Our wood pile is getting way too small and yet there seems to be no end to the chill in the air.   Many days I just opt to put another layer on instead of building a big fire when its not horribly cold out, or just build a fire in the morning and let it heat the house and then let it die down until evening.   Rationing our remaining wood to have it last the rest of the season.
I am glad that our goats were bred late so that we don't have little kids out there in this cold and since I am not milking, if I want to I can hold off feeding the goats an hour or so until it has warmed up a bit.  They have plenty of hay in their barn at all times so grain can wait for a bit without them getting hungry at all.   We feed the goats a nice sweet feed that is all grain, no pellets in their dry season and when they are milking we mix Purina Goat Chow with the sweet feed giving them a higher protein diet than just sweet feed.  We also supply them with a quality goat minerals.  I am looking forward to the first of April when the kids are due to arrive.  My life will be busy for sure, feeding bottles and milking goats again.  But I like that sort of busy-ness.
Speaking of busy, I have a busy day ahead of me, cleaning, cooking and everything in between, so time to get off the computer and get to work.

Comments

clairz said…
The title of your post reminds me of Laura Ingalls Wilder's book, The Long, Long Winter. I've been thinking that I should find a copy and re-read it while this long winter of ours goes on and on and on.

Your post was lovely, as always. I'm looking forward to baby goat photos when spring arrives, as we faithfully believe it will.

Popular Posts