Ground Hog Day




These were the words spoken by Punxsutawney Phil's handlers this morning, "As the sky shines bright above me, my shadow I see beside me, six more weeks of winter it will be." So it seems winter will be around for a bit longer. Its been a cold winter for us here in North Texas this year and I don't mind a bit. Of course we have gone through more wood than we have in several years, since the wood stove seems to have a voracious appetite this year as it works to keep our little home toasty warm. I love winter. Love the cold weather and all that comes with it. I never even minded shovelling snow when I lived in New England, but of course that was nearly three decades ago and perhaps now I may not find it so enjoyable. Hard to say. I really do love the cold and snow.
To me there is some form of excitement in bundling up and heading outside where your breath escapes out your nose in little puffs of steam, it makes me smile just thinking about it. I love how the skin on your face feels invigorated and you just know your cheeks are turning rosy, bringing a wonderful look of health to you. I love mittens with strings and warm wool hats. Thick wool socks that require shoes a full size larger than normal and the smell of wood smoke and what wet mittens smell like drying on a radiator or by the stove. Hot chocolate tastes much better after being in the cold and snow.
I don't even seem to mind waking up each morning and being shocked awake by the cold bare floor or having to wear my winter jacket in the house until the fire warms the house up, after growing cold in the night. I love cooking "Bear Mush" and watching the steaming pot bubble on the stove.
Even hanging clothes in below freezing temps feels like such an adventure, one that has a tinge of feeling what "stuff" you are made of as you do such an old fashioned task in a modern world where comfort seems to be a major goal for most. I want to rough it, be that pioneer woman from time to time. Not be a wimp and worried about what my nails or hair looks like. Maybe I read too many stories as a child where that pioneering spirit was held in such regard. I love hearing Emery share his stories of growing up on their wheat farm, no running water, no electricity for years and how they braved the cold and withstood hardships akin to those in the books I loved to read so well as a child.
I like being challenged, being pushed a bit to see what I am made of. I don't admire weakness.
I am glad the ground hog saw his shadow this morning, give me six more weeks of my favorite season !
By the way, I feel much better this morning. Kept taking my not so good tasting Old Indian Wild Cherry Bark Syrup and it sure paid off. Plus my sweet husband set me up with a vaporizer last night and that helped a great deal too. This morning I am ready to get back to all the things I love so well. Thanks for all your well wishes and prayers.

Comments

novascotiagal said…
I'm glad you are feeling better - but don't overdo it, or you'll be back in bed again.
Carole said…
Glad to read that you're feeling better.
Your post reminded me of the winters we had when I was little. We loved to go and play out in the snow, sledging for hours and coming back home and warming up with a steaming hot chocolate and some well buttered toasts. The butter melted a little and we sprinkled it with Ovomaltine - a kind of Swiss malted cocoa, delicious !

Popular Posts