Thursday Thoughts

Last night storms rolled through our area after bedtime. Lightning flashed across the sky so often it appeared like a strobe light. The thunder rolling over and over. Angels bowling in heaven is what my mother told me as a child. There was a strange and lovely peace even amid the storm. The wind and the rain were no threat to me, I was snuggled in safely. Surrounded by strong walls and a deep faith that sometimes I don't even understand myself, faith seems to defy logic.
This week, with my dad here visiting, I am so keenly aware of how good it is to have my children close by and I know Melissa and James will once again be living in Texas, I just know that in my heart. I have listened to Melanie and Steven reminisce about their childhood, laughing and yet at the same time, so glad for that bond they share. I have listened to Melanie talking on the phone to Melissa while we were driving in the car. Sharing so much...so close.
I have held my grand-babies and watched my father hold them and kiss them, and seen these tiny ones reach time and time again for Emery to hold them. I saw the pride on my dads face when he was talking about playing golf with his grandson.
I went over these things in my mind and heart while listening to the storm rage outside. It is the simple things in life that matter. Not the size of the house, or the make of car, not the kind of clothes we wear or the way we fix our hair that gives us the kind of peace and contentment that the love of family gives us.
It was hard work raising our children the way we did. Swimming against the current of society but it has been so worth it. Tonight I will climb the two steps up into my bed, sink into the feather bed, pull the covers over me, hold Emery's hand as we pray together and sleep sound.


Comments

Anonymous said…
The Lord has blessed you with a lovely life!

mari
Carole said…
As always, you are so right :)
In those troubled times when I'm trying to fight for something that I find right, and I have to confront so many lies and so much dishonesty from people who have the power and decide over important things concerning our children's education, nothing brings back the peace like a hug from my girls, or watching them playing together and hearing their laughter...

Popular Posts