Recipe for Special K Loaf

Since I was talking vegetarian in the last post, I thought I would share a recipe for a tasty vegetarian loaf.
Here is a family favorite ...
Special K Loaf
1/4 Cup Butter or Margarine ( I use Earth Balance )
1 Clove of Garlic
1 Onion
2 Stocks of Celery (Steven hates celery so I leave it out)
2 Tablespoons of an Vegetarian Stock like McKay’s Seasoning
1 Tablespoon of Soy Sauce
3 Beaten Eggs (use egg substitute if you are vegan)
1/4 Cup of Milk (soy milk works fine)
1 Cup of Cottage Cheese (crumbled tofu for vegans)
3-5 Cups of a “Flakes” Cereal - I only use Kellogg’s Special K Cereal.
1/4 Cup Pecan Meal, Ground Fine
Preheat oven to 350 F
Heat the butter or margarine in a pan
Sauté the garlic and onions until cooked
Add the celery to the pan and sauté until soft
Mix the remaining ingredients in a separate bowl
Add the sautéed vegetables to the bowl
Let the cereal get a little soggy (about 5 minutes)
Place in a generously greased baking pan.
It should be 1″-3″ deep.
Bake 1 - 1 1/2 hour(s)
Cut the loaf into 2″ x 2″ squares

Comments

Karen Oros said…
It's funny you posted this Pat:-) I made it last week! I liked it very much:-) I also made grape nuts burgers,lol..
Love,
Karen
novascotiagal said…
Thanks for these recipes - I'll try lots of things to get my 9 year old boy, who is now vegetarian, to eat well - the tofu carob pie might be a way to get tofu into him. He decided, through tears, that he couldn't eat animals "that never harmed anyone" anymore (not even fish) but he's a very picky eater. I've been feeding him veggie burgers and soy sausages, but they are processed, and have stuff like MSG in them - I want to find things I can make fresh that he will eat. He's so particular, it won't be easy. (He loves cheese though - goat cheese is a favorite - he wants us to get a goat so he can have lots... I said someday!)

I once had a really good recipe for lentil loaf - it used shredded wheat... I wish I could find that again.

Popular Posts