The Joy of Being You

It takes hard work to be real. It's almost like we are trained to be what we think other folks want us to be. We play roles, play games and can slowly loose who we truly are inside.
Religion plays a part in this. We know that acting a certain way, appearing a certain way, saying certain phrases etc puts us in favor or out of favor with our fellow church mates. We find out rather early in life that being out of favor is not a pleasant place to be, so when we don't believe just the same as the others or something is going on in our lives that is not up to the standards set, its just easier to play the game than be ridiculed, shunned or worse, ignored. Parents often put this same sort of conditions on their children. So children, instead of talking to their parents about their questions, their struggles, they just simply lie, figuring its just better to let their parents think what they want to think. The real problem with this is, that the children end up with no one to talk to about what is bothering them, except friends who may not have all the wisdom the parents have !
For the most part my children have felt pretty comfortable telling me just about everything that has worried them. To be honest, some things I wish I didn't know ! But, I value so much that they trusted me enough to talk to me about it. Many a time, I just took a deep breath and listened and gave advice when asked for it and just listened with a shoulder to lean on and a hug when they just wanted to talk.
As an adult I find myself wishing that my experience in my teens had been like my children's. Times were different and you simply just didn't talk openly with my parents. There were so many expectations of behavior and no room for failure. I just went along trying to figure it all out on my own. I rebelled too. Hated the phrase "because I say so" I wanted to know why. I still want to know the "why" of everything. I just don't blindly accept anything.
Blogging is a place where lots of folks just write and share what they think their readers want to hear. Blogging can be a place that fosters that "people pleasing" mode of character.
I am so well aware that many of my readers read this blog because they are interested in "plain living". And at times I find myself people pleasing in that direction, but the truth is, I am so so so very glad to be away from that lifestyle. Its stifling, its full of expectations that often rob a person of a personal walk with God...too many daily rules to deal with. Melanie told me not long ago that she thought living Mennonite was the most stressful time in her life. Why ? Because there are so many rules and you are just afraid you will break one. That is sad, but its true. It's a culture that spanks their children before they can walk and affection is not lavished on the children. A culture where perfect behavior is stressed and so rebellion is in the hearts of many, quietly eating them away inside. Even though, I once in a while wonder about the direction of my life, not out of conviction, but out of fear. I am planning to be more real and not fall back into that place of trying to please people by once in a while playing the part of a plain person. In each of us, there is a true, authentic person, a person that finds joy in life just where they are. Joy is not found in a life of many faces or in a life of unethical behaviors. Its found in being real and being kind and compassionate. In knowing where you belong.
There, I have preached my sermon to myself : ) It seems so black in white in print...

Comments

Anonymous said…
A beautiful and authentic post. Being oneself is a risk, but it's one worth taking. I think that's why I love to read your writing so much, really. Many other bloggers try to present their "Sunday best" selves, which is fine I suppose--in blog-land, we can reveal what we wish to--but you lead by example in being a real person. Thank you for that, and thank you for the gentle reminder to be who I am, no more, no less.
Anonymous said…
Needed to hear this post! So often God uses you to speak to me! Thank you for being so open and real!
Joyce said…
I was just thinking about this yesterday. One criticsm of the blog world is that you can "be whoever you want to be" to people, and they don't really know you. It's sort of the oposite for me. I feel like when I write, I am my true self, and can take the time to express myself completely, and perhaps be understood, when in reallife the conversation can go another way.

I hope you can enjoy being yourself in your blog. I have enjoyed getting to "blog-know" you!
Vicky said…
Ohhh Miss Patty. I really hope you know how inspiring and helpful your blog is!!
Patty said…
Hi Joyce, I am enjoying the journey of being the authentic me. Its been a difficult journey in many ways. Stepping out of the place where people expect you to act and think a certain way.
nancyr said…
I think who we are, changes from time to time. I think, from reading your blog for quite a while, that you feel both the pull of the past, and the winds of change, and sometimes these things can be conflicting. Life isn't and shouldn't be static. Change is good, and living in the past can be very restrictive.
I wonder how conflicted Steven must feel, at times, having experienced both ways of living, but marrying into a culture that holds on to the past. We can only hope that each of our children will find the lifestyle that is right for them, and support their decisions, even if they differ from ours.
Patty said…
The blessing is Nancy, that Steven is smart enough to know what will be best for him and he like his mother, marches to his own drum beat and knows full well we will support him no matter what path he takes in life.
Diane said…
I would love sit and have a long conversation with you. You sound like someone I would like to be friends with.
Foxy5 said…
I liked reading this post. I've mentioned before that I live in a heavy Mennonite and Amish community. It's good to hear that there are struggles living that way. (that sounds odd. I don't mean that I'm happy people are struggling. I mean you never hear someone say "this is hard" when it seems to me that it really is) Though I have heard of revivals happening in the plain church it seems so much of their beliefs are simply tradition and rules. It really breaks my heart. There is a cookie cutter mentality - everyone needs to act and think the same way. When we go to work banquets (my husband works for an Amish company) people find my children odd because they run around and play while the Amish children sit so silent and still.
Anyway, not trying to write a novel here. :)
Thanks for the reminder that we need to be who God wants us to be.


The End :)
Janette said…
Well put.
I think that as I grow older I become far more full of faith and far less full of religion. It is probably the largest struggle in my life.
Dawn said…
Dear Patty,

What advice would you give to your blog readers who are seeking and praying and learning about the plain life?
Would you tell them to stay away from the Anabaptist churches? Why or why not?
Would you mind sharing some your past plain life with the rest of us, good and bad so those who feel called to a plainer life can learn.

I know not all churches are perfect, each has their own faults and failures and mishaps.

I also know churches of every denomination have 'rules' to follow. Mainly so it keeps the believer in check and helps them not stumble.

Some people just don't adhere well to having someone else tell us 'no'.

God bless you dear Sister...see you soon God willing...

Dawn (future Texan is 23 days)
The dB family said…
Thank you Patty! I needed to read this post. I am still working on discovering who I really am and trying to remember not to conform to who someone else wants or thinks I should be. I have four young 'uns at home too, and I am trying to teach them to be their athentic selves too.

Blessings!
Renee said…
A wonderful post and a gentle reminder to me. Thank you!
Cristan said…
I have a 3 year old son and I try to remember to keep the dialogue open between us, even when I'm exasperated. (Don't the word 'dialogue' seem so hippy!?) You know what I mean, though. If we don't talk at three, what chance do I possibly have at 13?
JenJen said…
What Joyce said: I, too, feel most authentically like Me when I am writing.

I will admit that my blog here is very toned down compared to one I have elsewhere; however, that is more about my wording than about my actual views: I don't pretend at anything on either blog: I just see my networks on each site as different audiences.

Wonderful post!

~JM

Popular Posts