A Repost on Walking

With the way gas prices are going up, I thought this post on walking might be a bit timely.
Our town is small, but we do have a bank, post office, pharmacy, health food store, coffee shop, dentist, doctor, pizza shop, health food shop, florist, hair dresser, Laundromat and a university all within a mile of our house, which gives us a Walk Score of 55. Not bad, but not the best.
I wish we still had corner stores to walk to, communities to call our own where we didn't need to be so dependant on cars. The big super stores drove all those little business out and now we may just be wishing we had them back.

From the site....you type in your address and it comes up with a Walk Score.
What does my score mean?
Your Walk Score is a number between 0 and 100. The walkability of an address depends on how far you are comfortable walking—after all, everything is within walking distance if you have the time. Here are general guidelines for interpreting your score:
90 - 100 = Walkers' Paradise: Most errands can be accomplished on foot and many people get by without owning a car.
70 - 90 = Very Walkable: It's possible to get by without owning a car.
50 - 70 = Some Walkable Locations: Some stores and amenities are within walking distance, but many everyday trips still require a bike, public transportation, or car.
25 - 50 = Not Walkable: Only a few destinations are within easy walking range. For most errands, driving or public transportation is a must.
0 - 25 = Driving Only: Virtually no neighborhood destinations within walking range. You can walk from your house to your car!

This morning I got an email from "French Women Don't Get Fat". It was really interesting. All about walking. Americans don't walk places. We might walk for health reasons but hardly any of us walk to the store, walk to a friends house a mile away, walk to church, walk to the museum and certainly not walk from market to market picking out our food for the days meal. I see people walking along the road, tennis shoes on, arms swinging, IPods plugged into their ears, serious and intent on burning up those calories. But honestly that's not much fun. Its work, its like going to the gym. Its sweaty in summer, cold in winter and only the very brave head out in rain. Our babies strollers are made so they collapse into small things able to be stored in the back of our vehicles since we just use them to cart the baby from the car to the mall and then back again to the car. We have forgotten the joy, the benefits of walking with pleasure to accomplish things such as marketing. Part of this comes from our rushed lives. Walking takes time. I can head off to the post office, city hall to pay the water bill, and the bank in the car and be home in 15 minutes. Walking on the other hand would take me an hour or so. I would stop to talk to people I know, I might stop to watch a crow hop across the road and I may just be inclined to stop at the local cafe and have a coffee. No drive thru there so I don't stop when in the car.My mothers generation walked more. In the Boston area I knew many of my mothers friends that never even had a drivers license. There were corner stores. Small markets, hair salons, barbers, drug stores, dry cleaners all within a short distance of just about every home. I walked to the corner store as a child often, maybe even daily. Ladies would dress their babies pretty and parade them down the road in big buggies, people would stop and talk and comment on the baby. We have lost that and we have gotten FAT. Other countries haven't taken to driving the car for every little trip. They still walk and they are thinner than we are.It said in the email this morning that the average person in Switzerland consumes 20 lbs of chocolate a year, but they are not all fat. They walk. Consider walking some place to do something. Consider saving some money at the gas station by dressing up a bit, going for a walk to the store or some other place. The benefits are profound, both physically and mentally.
Emery on the way to one of our favorite cafe's

Comments

Foxy5 said…
That was really interesting. My walk score is 51. I would say that is a bit high though. I like to walk and I walk most days with my children. Thats the key there WITH my children. Grocery stores are within walking distance but there are no sidewalks to take us there. I actually didn't realize the stores were so close. That sounds silly but because of the route we would have to take to get there I never really thought about walking. It's just not an option (not a safe one anyway)
I researched the town I'm hoping to move to... walking score of 3. 3! Maybe I need to find a different house. 3 doesn't really work for me. :)
Lucy said…
I never use my car for groceries or daily needs. I bike or walk. I'm happy that I live in a town that where everything is on hand :-) You are so right with this post!
Lucy said…
ps.. I know that in th US it is hard to tkae a bike for groceries. The roads are made for cars and you don't have safe bikelines...
em said…
Sadly enough the American lifestyle has become a lodestar for many non-Americans. Although our gas cost more than twice as much as your, many Europeans take the car even if they could walk. Obesity has become a problem in most European countries, eating habits being one of the major reasons.

I live in a rural part of Sweden where the public transportation almost is as bad as in the States. My solution is to only use the car once a week, or even more seldom, to do my shopping and run all the errands at the same day. If I run out of something I simply have to do without it.
Oh, what a complex subject you brought up — there are so much to say.......
Margaretha
Dana and Daisy said…
My walking score is 28, and it counts Subway as a grocery store. But on the flip side, there are still gorgeous farm and pasture lands all around me!
ellemenope said…
Ha! I didn't take the test but I am sure that my walking score is zero. I live 30 miles from town. However, I do bicycle into town quite often and am glad of the long distance as it allows me to get a killer workout in. (I've even done it in February in the snow)

On the flip side, I do combat this distance by growing as much of our own food as possible (and getting loads of exercise in the garden), buying in bulk when I do go to town, and buying a lot of stuff online so it is delivered to me. And I drive a Jetta tdi that gets 50mpg (and could run on biodiesel which I may switch to in the near future) So I guess wheverever you live it is workable if you are willing to make the effort.

I am envious of those that can walk to all daily needs, but my husband once said as I was lamenting my lack of being able to do this, that then I would be complaining that the distances aren't far enough to get me a decent workout in!
Diane said…
My walk score was 20. We are moving soon and I hope it is a more foot friendly place. I should put that on my "things to look for in a home" list.
Dulce Domum said…
I walk everywhere, but I have the infrastructure where I live to allow it. I know there are places in the USA where there are no pavements, this would make walking a little too dangerous...I wouldn't want to do it with my kids in tow!

I agree with Em though, even though we have the infrastructure, far fewer people walk their kids to school now than they did even ten years ago. But, with the cost of petrol going up, I imagine more people may be giving up the second car and walking more and more.
JacquiG said…
Our wallking score is 0, but then we live in a village of about 400 people with only a small corner store, a garage, a B&B, and a bar. According to the site our closest grocery store is 9.7km!!

We moved here because it's small and away from town, maybe in some ways not a good idea but I love my house. We try to combine our errands and do most grocery shopping on the way home from work. I need to pick up a garden rake and I'll do that tonight on my way home.
Michele said…
Well, my walk score was also a big "0", but I'm not surprised. It was funny that most of the place they listed were either non-exsistent or the distance was as the crow flies...places that are over 12 miles were listed as 8.... you might want to check those things out for yourselves...
TiempoSoria said…
That was really interesting.
I bike or walk. I'm very happy that I live in a town in Germany where everything is on hand.
The test don´t work for me but think my walk score is 90.

Popular Posts